THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ...and some questions about 2001 SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ...and some questions about 2001 SL2H

First off.. a HUGE thank you to Toejam for sorting out my account. I owe you big!

Was wondering if someone could provide some insight on this:

I have a 2001 SL2H in Interference Cyan/Magenta. Guy used in his studio and was thinning the herd. When I pulled the trigger on this one it was literally like a brand new guitar. There is NOTHING wrong with this thing. I could pass for new. Sometimes I'm so lucky its amazing!
    Here is my deal... I normally played with 10's to standard and occasionally Eb. When I put 10's on this thing (with 4 springs) it seems like i have to crank the claw screws in VERY far to level the floyd. Maybe 1/4 inch (or less) left on the threads. I think this is pretty odd. I've never noticed this "lack of wiggle room" in other guitars of any manufacture. I would think that the backplate cavity would be "standard" on all Jacksons. Do I just have some super loose springs?? I can't put a fifth spring on b/c I have the FloydUpgrades trem stop installed. For now I've settled for 9's (which I'm actually starting to like better)
    I'm also having what I'll label "sustain" issues. I seem to get significant sustain BUT I get more out of a bolt on USA BC Rich ST-III that has a Tone Zone in the bridge. I have rewired everything to make sure it wasn't an electrical issue. Everything reads ok on my multimeter. It also seems to be "darker" than my alder bc rich bolt-on that has a rosewood board. I would have bet the farm that a SL2H should be significantly brighter! Am I wrong? Are my woes coming from the JB? I'm thinking of doing a no-load mod on the tone pot (as opposed to taking it out of the loop all together). I may just try to swap out the pup as well. I really dig the Tone Zone in my BC Rich, has anyone tried one in a SL2H?

Oh yeah.. one more thing. The SL2H also has a perfect small square cut out on the side of the trem cavity and you can see the pickup height adjustment screw for the one side in there. Does anyone else know what the deal is with that? I would almost think it was a error in the routing but its literally perfect. Is it normal?

It is weird that a JB would be darker than a tone zone in anything.

I would try new trem springs before anything. Maybe something like these...

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog...roducts_id=221

Back to pickups, I have a TZ in my RR1 and I like it. It kind of has a bit of a cocked wah type sound in the higher frequencies with nice full bottom. I paired it with a PAF Pro in the neck. (Which sounds AMAZING. My favorite neck pickup for OD/high gain.)

For the bridge position though, I like the Duncan Custom in my RR1T way more. It gives me my perfect tone for the OD/HG tones. For cleans it can be a little thin on the bottom, the TZ is definitely better there, but I generally use neck pickups for the rare occasions I do play clean. For variety of sounds I kept the Duncan Jazz in the neck on my RR1T. For those super fat rich clean tones nothing comes close.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post

For the bridge position though, I like the Duncan Custom in my RR1T way more.
      I had a Duncan Custom in an 81 Les Paul Custom I used to own and it was outstanding. I'm thinking my issues with the JB are coming from the 250k tone pot. I think I'll attempt the no load mod and see how that works. When I disconnect the tone pot completely it sounds much better but I still want to be able to use that tone pot if needed.

Comment

Novelization much?

J/k - welcome back!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

OK... "attempted" the no load mod on the tone and soon discovered that cts pots are a different mechanical animal than bournes pots. None the less I attempted to modify the pot and thought I did a great job, installed it, and it doesn't work. LOL. I just disconnected the dang thing. I'll order a 500k pot and throw it in there at some point. I have one of those EVH pots but it is WAY to slippery. You blow on the thing and it moves.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            Novelization much?

J/k - welcome back!
            You should have seen it before I edited it down. LOL

For anyone who cares... I popped the EVH pot in the tone position (its 500k) wired everything up and WOW. NOW I'm back in business. Im not sure but I'm guessing that something was up with the other pot. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Comment

I put the Custom in about everything. When I put it in my SL1, I thought "wow that sounds dark."

I cut the white wire to the tone knob on a tip I read here (that it was 250K) and it sounds like the Custom I know & love.

The JB sounds better that way too... For a a few days, until I have time to solder a Custom in.

Comment

The JB sounds pretty decent in the soloists that I have but the Duncan Custom is one of my favorite pickups and really brings my SL2H to life.

And I've always like the interferance cyan/magenta finish. How about some pics?

Comment

My main gigging SL2H has a Tone Zone in the bridge. I like it a lot. Interference Cyan Magenta is a nice color! I have a custom shop Soloist in that color. Post pix of yours and congrats! Its not an often seen color as it seems most Interference Jacksons were Interference Fireglo.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                  X