Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Jackson SL2H Noob Questions...

Hi -

Just got registered on this forum after lurking for a few weeks, and had a couple of questions that didn't yield any clear search results - so here goes!

I just bought an "as new" SL2H in black, and I'm sourcing some "custom" parts as it's in transit.

Does anyone have experience with D-Tuna's on the SL2? Is there clearance to activate it without hitting the body (the trem will blocked, fwiw).

Also, I'm a big fan of push/pull switching on my guitars. Are the USA Jacksons' pot holes, in fact drilled to US spec, or the smaller import spec?

Thanks for your help, and I'll post some pics when I get it all tweaked out.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of that info All my SL2Hs are stock and i've never had to modify anything...they are amazing guitars! Congrats on your recent purchase and welcome to the forum! If you hang around here too much, you will buy more guitars

Comment

Thanks - I cancelled a layaway on JP6 Roasted Maple to get this thing.

#1 - I couldn't justify paying literally 2x as much for the JP.
      #2 - I've owned an SLS in the past and really liked it - figured that the USA will be awesome.
      #3 - I'm playing our rhythm guitar players Dk2, and like the neck so much on THAT, that I decided to pull the plug on the JP and have some money to play with.

I've got a brass block, trem stop, and claw on the way, and want to add the D-tuna just to facilitate quick change overs during shows. The push pull is just going to split the JB, for a little more variety. Nothing fancy...

Comment

Welcome!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Welcome. I believe the SL2 uses US CTS branded pots, I know my RR's do. If I had calipers, I'd pop the knob off and measure but I don't have them or a fine ruler to double check for you. The d-tuna could be an issue depending on how low the trem sits in the route because obviously with a neck-through guitar you can't tweak the neck angle to bring the trem height up.

Sorry I can't give you any solid answers, but someone will likely pipe in shortly that knows both answers for sure.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

it depends on the individual guitar in regards to clearance, it's a tight fit, I've seen people add a little rout for it... sometimes looks OK-ish... it comes down to how low ur action is set. better off without it imo.

standard drilling.
            Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

You should be able to fit a push-pull or push-push pot no problem. They use the larger shaft US size pots.

Comment

I have moded my Bengal with a CTS push/pull and a big block. Not into d-tunas.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone! I figured the D-tuna would be a gamble, but I went for it. If it doesn't work, I'll try to return it I guess. We'll only do 3 songs in drop D, so it wouldn't be a huge deal to unlock the nut, tune down, then lock it up.

Thanks again!

Comment

Yeah, the D-tuna won't work on any guitar with a recessed Floyd without doing a little modding.I was looking at putting one on my Soloist and PC1 ended up putting on my Charvel.
                    You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

I put an Alpha push-pull pot in my SL1T. Worked fine, however, the shaft was smaller and the original knob fit too loose. So I ended up ordering new chrome knobs from StewMac. The pots looks the same, but one is 1/4" (for the CTS pot) and the other is 6mm (for the Alpha pot).

Comment

Working...
                      X