Question about my San Dimas Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my San Dimas Rhoads

Hello all, got a question about my 1984 Rhoads student. I've owned it since 1988 and have not really known about its history. When I got the guitar I immediately swapped the pups for EMG's. Now, I want to bring it back to its original glory and install the original pups that would have come with the the guitar ( I gave the originals away; I know , but I was young and dumb...) . How the heck can I find out what pups were in my guitar when built? I called Fender on a whim and was basically brushed off, not surprisingly. I vaguely remember that they were Duncans, but I just looked at the pickup rings and found they are Dimarzio's. Anyone ever heard of Jackson using Diamrzio rings with Duncan pups???

When I get it put together I'll post a pic, unless if someone thinks a pic could help answer the questions I have. Thanks in advance!!!!

Is this H-H? I think it's impossible to know without the hang tag or build sheet, but a good guess for a really early one like that would be J50N/J50B.

Comment

Originally posted by pete-o View Post
      Anyone ever heard of Jackson using Diamrzio rings with Duncan pups???
      Definitely plausible since Dimarzio is/was a guitar parts supplier such as rings, and Duncan made only pickups, at least back then. If the pickups were made by Jackson, as suggested, the pole pieces would be distinctively black. Do you remember what the poles looked like? Here's what I think are Jackson-made pups on an early Rhoads:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Randy-Rh...item53e586ddc4
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

My '84 Rhoads Student had Jackson J80 or J80C in it, I still have the pickup somewhere.
        Kinda freaky how similar ours are: I also purchased mine around '88 and put EMGs in!
        Last edited by RacerX; 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM. Reason: Fuggers got me! :D Hey, it was late!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Kinda freaky how similar ours our:
          Come again?
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

My '84 Rhoads Student had Jackson J80 or J80C in it, I still have the pickup somewhere.
            Kinda freaky how similar ours our: I also purchased mine around '88 and put EMGs in!
            Ron, I would expect nothing like this from you, 'ours are' not 'ours our' you've failed us ron.... you've failed us
            Gear

Jackson DXMG
            Jackson JS30RR
            Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
            Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
            Blackstar HT5H
            Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
            Marshall JCM 800 2203
            Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Kinda freaky how similar ours our: I also purchased mine around '88 and put EMGs in!

Someone's sleepy.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I have a similar question. I guess guys at Jackson won't bother looking through the work orders for everyone who asks a question about their guitar... I have a 1985 Kelly Custom, and the previous owner pulled out the original electronics and swapped it with EMG actives. Did Jackson put the same kind of pickups in Student and Custom models, or was there a difference in pickups also?
                Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Well, many of those did come factory stock with Duncans. And the majority of those used the Duncan Distortion (SH-6) and a Duncan Jazz (SH-2). Dimarzio rings were and are still common on USA models, but very few used Dimarzio pickups.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                    Well, many of those did come factory stock with Duncans. And the majority of those used the Duncan Distortion (SH-6) and a Duncan Jazz (SH-2). Dimarzio rings were and are still common on USA models, but very few used Dimarzio pickups.
                    +1. Can't remember the serial on mine off the top of my head, believe it's an 84, DD in the bridge, Jazz neck. Both sound outstanding in that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                      Come again?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I definitely remember the pole pieces being "nickel" colored, not black. And to Axweilder, I am positive they were not Jackson pickups, I want to lean toward two black Duncans, because I vaguely remember those little white decals about a 1/2" long on the backs of them, and unfortunately not what letters were on the labels. While I'm posting, what kind of wood is the guitar made of?

Comment

[QUOTE=Axewielder;1398609]Is this H-H?

Yes its H/H,

Comment

Ive owned a slew of 83-85 RR's...still do actually but less now Most likely your 84 came with DiMarzio rings & Duncan pickups,.. a Distortion in the bridge & Jazz (JN-J sticker on it) in the neck. The Jackson pickups didnt hit until some time in mid 85
                            Last edited by J_A / 540s; 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM.
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Pots....

Thanks to all who answered my questions about the pickups. I've since installed a SD Jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge, both vintage 80's models. I've wired it up and fired it up and it sounds great. But the shafts on the pots I installed are too long. Does anyone know what to look for ? Am I looking for 500K audio taper short shaft pots? Do they make such a thing? Is there a good brand to get or one thats made for Jacksons? And the diameter of the threaded part is important too, as the ones I wanted to use originally were too big in diameter for the holes in the control plate. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X