The Happy Accident....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Happy Accident....

I had been looking for what I call a 'Mid-Size' Kelly for a long time...but I won this 'by accident'!

In late September I was cruising Ebay and having a few Heinekens... and I bid what I thought would be a low price ($1350 USD) on this Kelly, not expecting to win it. Of course I WON IT :shock:

The Marty Friedman Kelly size is way too small and that makes them very neck-heavy & uncomfortable to play. To me they look wierd because the size is out of proportion IMO... for me the "Mid-Size' Kelly is a PERFECT balance.

Pretty minty and a great sounding player.

Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Very nice! Do you know what pickups are in it? Does it have a JE-1000 or JE-1200 in it? I guess it originally had a jt6 too.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

THE PURPLE NURPLE!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The purple/black looks wicked pissa!
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Nice score. Congrats.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'd refinish it, but other than that, looks mint and I bet it's great. Grats.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Looks awesome, though, am I to understand that this Kellys body is bigger than my 90s Kelly pro? Anyhow, my Kelly Pro balances great, and nice score!
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                Looks awesome, though, am I to understand that this Kellys body is bigger than my 90s Kelly pro? Anyhow, my Kelly Pro balances great, and nice score!
                Yes, the '90s models got downsized because of Marty Friedman. There was the King Kelly, this medium Kelly, and the smaller one we know today.

And that purple with black bevels looks sweet! Congrats on that one, Curt!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

nice!

Comment

Partial hijack of thread.... how many Kelly sizes are there? I have a 2005 KE2. Is that mid size or small?

I do know about the King Kelly and I know I don't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by dmccarthy View Post
                      Partial hijack of thread.... how many Kelly sizes are there? I have a 2005 KE2. Is that mid size or small?

I do know about the King Kelly and I know I don't have that.
                      There are 3 sizes as Toejam stated above. The King Size, Middle Size and marty Friedman (current) size.

Your KE2 would be the smallest size...the Marty Friedman size which is what they have been making, production-wise, since around 1990.

Also it should be noted that the middle size are 22 fret which also helps with the balance issue.

REALLY the mid-size is the one....the apex of Kelly design perfection IMO.
                      Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

nice job, knobby nuts!

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                          Also it should be noted that the middle size are 22 fret which also helps with the balance issue.
                          Yeah, I spotted that right away. Interesting. Man those 24-fretters neck-dive something fierce. I think Friedman was a little off-balance to begin with, maybe with one of those slung over his shoulder he balances out.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            I think Friedman was a little off-balance to begin with, maybe with one of those slung over his shoulder he balances out.
                            Probably because of his creepy dogleg picking style.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Love it, that purple kicks @ss. Congrats.

With that locknut with an Original Floyd, I'm guessing it originally had a JT6?

As to the size issue, I don't think that has much to do with the neck-dive. The current (small) ones I have / had don't dive on me at all. Personally, I suspect it has more to do with how high folks wear their guitars on their straps, just plain playing styles, or something else. I've never had a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X