My USA Jackson SL2H - Chrome to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My USA Jackson SL2H - Chrome to Black

I finally got most of the black parts and changed out my SL2H from chrome to black. Here is the link to all the gory details including where I sourced the parts, as well as a pair of quick before and after pics:

Let me know what you think!

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/07/11/u...rome-to-black/

Looks much better IMO
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nice work,and nice blog!
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I like the black!
        Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I think both look great, but the black compliments the ebony, and the dark lines in the maple top.

Comment

Black looks better. I did the same to my Trans Black WR1.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I did that with my Trans Black SL1 as well... I like chrome hardware on some colors but I think the black looks better on the Trans Black and Trans Blue finishes.

Comment

Very nice, I like it better.

Gonna do the jack?
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

Dang, the glare off the silver screws is blinding! :-) Just kidding... I read your blog post where you anguished over the locking nut set screws and the pickup ring screws not being black. I'm just busting on ya as I recognize the same obsessive funniness in myself. Great blog post by the way!

Freaking awesome guitar! I love the black. I have a DK1 with top-to-bottom gold hardware and I have wondered many times what it would look like with all black.

Thanks for the post.

Comment

Couple of things...

-If you actually want black screws for the Floyd nut, prorockgear.com has them. I personally would probably apply the Steinway Touch Up Kit to them (black Sharpie) and call it good enough.

-If you want knobs like the Warmoth ones, only for solid-shaft pots, Stewmac has them. WARNING: I would highly recommend running a drill with a 1/4" drill bit into them to "polish" the inside, as I had one get stuck on a CTS pot so badly (due to a burr) that it ripped the shaft right out.

-If you want the "absolute closest thing you can find anywhwere) for the little screws like the stock Jacksons for the cavity cover plates, mounting rings, etc. in whatever color, Allparts GS-3397-XXX (XXX varies depending on color) is what you want. Don't bother with the Warmoth ones, they only have the long ones, which is kind of annoying since they don't tell you that they are 3/4" long.

Hit up a dealer for a switch tip. I really don't think you will find one, I've been looking for a long time elsewhere and I just can't find anything. Since I am usually looking for gold I have used these:

They are brass. I thread them onto a screw in a drill chuck and then cut them down to a shape close to the old Charvel switch tips and then polish the natural brass.

Comment

I like black, but on trans blue I LOVE Gold... chrome is lame.

well done!
                      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I've been considering changing out the chrome hardware on my trans blue SL1T. I'd also like to see pics with gold hardware. Anybody done that and got pics?

BTW, trans blue is such an odd color. In bright light it looks really blue (like in your pics). Other lighting it can look kinda purple-ish. In low light mine takes on a blue-green sort of color. It definitely seems to flip-flop.

Comment

You guys are killing me... I bet gold would look pretty cool.

I'm not buying more parts...I'm not buying more parts...I'm not buying more parts...

Comment

Cool info MakeAJazzNoiseHere! I'll def. check that stuff out - thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X