Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate and advices between SL2HT and SL2H

Hi,

I am a proud jackson owner since 2005. I have a '05 jackson sl2ht. Now I am looking for another guitar and I really hesitate between another SL2HT or a SL2H. To me, I don't really see the use of a whammy bar (I formely owned a DK2 with came with a floyd and I block it). So floyd rose doesn't really appeal me, but some luthier advice me on the fact that a floyd rose usa jackson has a better clean and lead tones. I don't hate floyd rose, but to me it's always appear to be a pain in the ass for setup and strings change.

So, do you really think the sl2h is a better all and all instrument for clean and lead tones?

Thanks!
    Jackson USA

From what I could tell, I couldn't really tell that much of a difference... But the only time I tried out an SL2HT was when I knew very little of tone, so I could be mistaken. Sorry I couldn't help much, but it doesn't make that much sense how it's have better clean and leads. With a TOM, you have the strings going through the wood, and more of the wood there, so in my opinion you'd have better cleans, don't know how lead tones could be better... Maybe brighter or something?

Comment

From what i understand the SL2HT has an angled neck and the SL2H has no neck angle because of the recessed floyd and due to this the strings are closer to the body, no big deal just something to get used to, you may prefer this, you may not.

Tonally there are arguments for and against both setups, some believe the floyd is better due to the way the strings pull the floyd against the mounting posts, others prefer the string thru TOM as there is more wood and the strings go directly thru the body of the guitar

Personally I prefer the floyd over the TOM as it is more comfortable to play, also due to tuning stability

Good luck

Comment

Ah true the angle. Those are also with Non Recessed Floyds, IIRC.

Comment

yeah, the shannon soloists from around '98 had non-recessed floyds with a (4degree?) neck angle, im sure there are others

Comment

IMO even if there were a slight change in the tone, it would be ridiculous to buy a guitar with an entire bridge system that you're uncomfortable with . I would go with another fixed bridge guitar!

Comment

I don't use a whammy bar and I don't care what type of bridge my guitars comes with.

I have a Bengal SL2H, a 750XL 'T' (fixed bridge), 3 RR's with floyds, 7 Gibsons without.

It makes no difference to me.

The only thing I'll say is it's nice to have a whammy in case some day in the future I find that I like it.

But playability wise, they all feel great to me.

I'd say get the guitar you like and sounds good and don't worry about the bridge (as long as the guitar sounds and plays good).

Comment

Well , it is easy to block the trem. You can block it completely, or just block it from pulling up. And it you ever get the
                urge to get into the floyd,,,,,just unblock it.

Comment

I'd suggest the neck angle (and therefore bridge height) is the biggest difference. Tonewise, sure there will be differences, but then there will be differences between 2 'identical' guitars. But the playing vibe is pretty different between a recessed Floyd and a tunamatic / non-recessed Floyd.
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

IMHO, the issue with most of Jackson's "T" models is the tone. They're great playing and looking guitars. But, IMHO, the standard maple/alder neck/body combos sound way too bright for TOM bridge-equipped guitars. That's a large part of why I sold my old KE2T - great guitar, but the tone didn't sound like I "thought" it should. That's a totally subjective opinion, of course. But when I mentally compare that to my later mahogany TOM guitars (Y2KVs, custom shop Kelly, GMPs), it's all about the wood tone. And TOM + mahogany is just perfectly "right" for me. IMHO, locking tuners should be standard on 'em, too.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      IMHO, the issue with most of Jackson's "T" models is the tone. They're great playing and looking guitars. But, IMHO, the standard maple/alder neck/body combos sound way too bright for TOM bridge-equipped guitars. That's a large part of why I sold my old KE2T - great guitar, but the tone didn't sound like I "thought" it should. That's a totally subjective opinion, of course. But when I mentally compare that to my later mahogany TOM guitars (Y2KVs, custom shop Kelly, GMPs), it's all about the wood tone. And TOM + mahogany is just perfectly "right" for me. IMHO, locking tuners should be standard on 'em, too.
                      You read my mind ! That's exactly what I suspected and what my luthier told me about !

That's why I am interrested for a sl2h even if a TOM is less maintenance.
                      Last edited by metalholics; 07-07-2010, 01:20 PM.
                      Jackson USA

Comment

I am not a heavy tremolo user by a long shot, and I prefer the Floyds for the tuning stability. A blocked (dive-only) Floyd with a locked nut has far better tuning stability than any hardtail guitar does, plus you have the fine tuners at the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          I am not a heavy tremolo user by a long shot, and I prefer the Floyds for the tuning stability. A blocked (dive-only) Floyd with a locked nut has far better tuning stability than any hardtail guitar does, plus you have the fine tuners at the bridge.
                          This is what i do too, except i dont bother blocking the trem even though I barely use it, a floating floyd has way better tuning stability that a hardtail for me, although I have never used locking tuners on a hardtail guitar

Comment

This is kinda related, but also possibly a dumb question, lol. But is there a reason why the SL2HT is not readily sold on sites such as Musiciansfriend, AmericanMusical, or other places like that?

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                              This is what i do too, except i dont bother blocking the trem even though I barely use it, a floating floyd has way better tuning stability that a hardtail for me, although I have never used locking tuners on a hardtail guitar
                              I have... My floating Floyds still stay in tune better than my hardtail Strat with locking Schallers!

I think the SL2HT is not nearly as popular- I have no proof of that, but, I just suspect that most people going for the shredder Super Strat are going to want the Floyd, and it's true, not a lot of people carry them. :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X