Soloist with body-binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist with body-binding?

Well I'm gonna get my soloist sent into the shop to take care of some minor issues. But I was wondering while I'm at it, Should I get some body binding done on it too? How much you think it'll run me in a ballpark estimate? Also if you got pics of a soloist with body binding throw them up so I can see what they look like!
    Anyways heres the Metallic Black Soloist thats gonna possibly get the treatment!:

Adding body binding to a finished guitar doesn't come under the heading of 'minor issues'. It'd need a full refinish after installing binding and that won't be cheap...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Why the heck would you want to do this anyway? Binding is usually for guitars that have a carved top. It would be something I don't understand.
      Jackson SL2H Trans Black
      Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
      ESP LTD EC1000 Trans Blue
      ESP LTD H301 Trans Red
      Dean Splittail Floyd Black
      Charvel Model 4 Black
      Ibanez VBT700 White
      Ibanez RGT42 Red Pearl
      Schecter Jolly Roger
      BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
      GSP1101
      Carvin TS100
      Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
      4X12 Cab w/ Eminence Legend Modeling 12s

Comment

Originally posted by redxiiidave View Post
        Binding is usually for guitars that have a carved top. It would be something I don't understand.
        I've seen Teles and Custom shops with it, usually with a flame top.

I agree - expensive.

Sell this guitar and buy the one you want with binding.

Comment

I never said body binding falls under "minor issues" I said I MIGHT as WELL get it done while I'm dropping it off at the shop. But I understand hat youre saying about having to refinish the entire guitar...Im gonna go get a quote today and see how much its gonna cost.

Originally posted by redxiiidave View Post
          Why the heck would you want to do this anyway? Binding is usually for guitars that have a carved top. It would be something I don't understand.
          I really dont see whats wrong with a flat-top guitar getting binding. There are plenty of flat-tops with body binding.

Comment

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put the Soloist down, and back away from it until the drugs wear off.

Comment

But did you ever notice how the soloist has rounded body edges and contour. Usually body bindings are applied to guitars with flat and sharp edges like this one here.

Comment

Yeah, that's a Jackson, it has nothing to do with wanting a unique, customized guitar that suits your individual taste....oh wait, that's EXACTLY what Jackson was founded on.

Fucking Puritans, I swear.

Personally, I wouldn't get actual binding installed on a guitar with contours like that. I'd go for "natural binding", where the underlying wood is cleared but not painted. That always looks better on contoured body style. If it was flat on the edges, I'd say go for it, but since it's got the lower horn scallop and the arm rest, I'd just have them strip an outline about 1/8" all the way around the top and then clearcoat it.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I know it's not a perfect situation but the older DK-1's have body binding. Only 22 fret IIRC but love the way they look.

Here are a couple from the photo gallery

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...ics/004345.jpg

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...-pics/4837.jpg

Comment

Here's a pic of my soloist with natural body binding.

More pics here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104324
                    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Pinstriping tape.
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put the Soloist down, and back away from it until the drugs wear off.
                        Agreed. Listen to Jazz.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I was trying to get a little classier look out of my soloist with body binding. Aparently wanting ivory body binding is bad. At least Im not getting it refinished with a trans hot pink with a cock dragon inlayed across the fretboard

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
                            I was trying to get a little classier look out of my soloist with body binding. Aparently wanting ivory body binding is bad. At least Im not getting it refinished with a trans hot pink with a cock dragon inlayed across the fretboard
                            That would actually work out better. In your case he's going to have to either shave a lot of your guitars contour off to be able to get sharp edges to then place the binding or put some wood filler while viced in a mold of some sort i guess. Either way, i say go with the pink finish and cock dragon. At least he won't think you're retarded when you ask for it LOL joking by the way lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                              That would actually work out better. In your case he's going to have to either shave a lot of your guitars contour off to be able to get sharp edges to then place the binding or put some wood filler while viced in a mold of some sort i guess. Either way, i say go with the pink finish and cock dragon. At least he won't think you're retarded when you ask for it LOL joking by the way lol
                              No thanks Ill let you be the first with a trans pink cock dragon combo, I insist

Comment

Working...
                              X