LTD '88 Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTD '88 Coolness

I finally added a second LTD '88 to the collection. I've had #232 for 12 years now:

The date in the neck pocket is 11/17/88, by HG. Here's the weird thing, I just got #217 and the date in the neck pocket is 11/15/88, also by HG:

So the two are 15 apart in serial numbers, yet only 2 days apart in dates. Surely they were not turning out 7 or 8 of these a day, right? I'm assuming they had most of the series fully completed and then numbered them and dated them within days of eachother. Plus, there were supposed to be 500 of these, right? But #232 was stamped in November of 1988, and that's not even half way through the series, so they did more than half of the rest from then until the end of December?! Thoughts?

Here's the difference in the graphics:

Necks are about the same, but one fingerboard is slightly darker than the other, and the scallops begin at fret 13 on one, but not until 19 on the other:

Headstocks are virtually similar:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Woah, that's really cool. I've never heard of a special edition 88 before, what's the story on them and BTW, awesome guitars!
    Ratt & Roll

Comment

They were the celebration of Jackson's 10 year anniversary, many built by Grover himself. Rumor has it they were leftover bodies for electric 12's, hence the big scoop behind the trems. "Blue jean" Denim finish and a set run of 500 examples were slated. Super expensive back in the day and out of reach for the mere struggling musician. Today, not so much, but still all the coolness.

Comment

I had one about 10 years ago, and it was a monster player. Interestingly, mine came with a JT-590 trem rather than the JT-6. Don't know whether it was stock, though. Wish I still had it, but I sold it when I came down with carpal tunnel syndrome--I used the money to restore a Model 5 while I waited for my condition to get better. Probably not the best move I ever made.

Comment

That is the one that just recently sold from Eldery right? If it is, very nice grab. Thought that one would go quick, and it did

The 88s are pretty cool, but personally the color doesn't appeal to me very much. I bet they sound great though, especially if you had to get another haha.
          My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

I still have mine. I bought it brand new....Still play's like brand new!
            2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
            2007 DK2m White Bengal
            88 Jackson limited edition
            Charvel Preditor
            PS-3T Rhoads Performer
            Jackson DX10D
            3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
            4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
            Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
            Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

Karl, what number is yours? Where does the scalloping begin? Have you seen the date in the neck pocket?

Comment

Mine is #309.. I never pulled the neck off. I think the scallops start at the 19th fret I believe...
                2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
                2007 DK2m White Bengal
                88 Jackson limited edition
                Charvel Preditor
                PS-3T Rhoads Performer
                Jackson DX10D
                3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
                4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
                Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
                Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

I LOVE those guitars! i've been searching for one ever since playing one at a store. the one i played was used for $700. this was many years ago. lol. and it did have the neck scalloped from the 13th up. I want one of these! argh. what did the elderly one sell for?

Comment

The elderly one was up for 600 bucks. I posted a thread on the JCF with a link to it when it first popped up, in case someone here wanted to go for it that usually didn't check out their site. Pretty sweet deal for 600 bucks in my opinion. It sold pretty quick. Not sure if this is that same one or not, but it's certainly a possibility lol.
                    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

#188, scallops 19+ - not sure of the pocket date.
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Black crayon will make the engraving pop. Fills easy.
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

cool guitar and cool side-by-side comparison

is the neck p/u rout on 232 factory?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

There is #147 on Ebay for $2195.

Comment

No, it is not a factory route on number 232, that one had the route enlarged later/aftermarket to incorporate that added single coil's lip. Long before I got ahold of it, and probably long before they could make Duncans without the lips.

Comment

Working...
                              X