Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Are the USAs worth the extra $ over Imports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Are the USAs worth the extra $ over Imports?

I'm just curious. Let's say, for the sake of argument, you are comparing a DK1 to a DKMG with 81/85s, and you are talking roughly twice the cost.

This is NOT to say the USA's aren't better quality, the question is about paying 2-3X the price of the imports.

Is it worth it?
    2011 Charvel Aqua Wildcard #4
    2011 GMW tele project
    2010 GMW strat project
    2010 Fender USA strat Highway 1
    2006 Peavey HP Special black
    2005 Peavey HP Special NAMM Guitar teal quilt
    2004 Gibson LP Classic goldtop
    1990s ESP MII Deluxe purple
    1988 Kramer Nighswan baby blue polka dot

Bugera 333Xl
    Marshall 2X12 1936 cab

Some think it's worth it, some don't. If you got the money buy usa if not the MIJ imports are great guitars!

Comment

It's the law of dimishing returns - is the DK1 twice as good? Nope. Is it better? Yup.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It's the age-old question. The answer is different for each person, and it can change for each person over time & with changes in finances. For me, I think I've settled on used USA as the way to go, except for a few rare or super high-quality import models.

Comment

the main reason i have always gone for the usa models is because they can really take a pounding on stage...great quality stuff that will still feel great years from now...so i always liked the toughness of the usa's...that being said i havent had much experience with any of the imports...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Exactly, the USA will be there with you for a lifetime. If you are regularly gigging and playing seriously, you want a guitar that will deliver night after night. The USA will do it the best. The import won't be able to take the abuse. If you're just playing in your bedroom or the occasional garage band, no problem, the import will work.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I guess I don't understand how the Import won't take abuse? I get the better attention to detail and such that is going to be found on a USA guitar as well as the more desirable materials like Ebony, Mother of Pearl and such but what exactly is more rugged about the USAs? My Import Soloists are made of the same materials minus those mentioned above so don't see much difference as far as durability. I could see the argument for the bridge maybe but I have both made in Deutschland and Korea OFR and the quality and durability is very close. I am not trying to bag on the USAs as I intend to buy one eventually.
              1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
              2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
              2008 Satin Black SL3
              2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
              2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

What about 90's-built imports? Weren't they on par with USA models?
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Is it worth it? Absolutely not. Unless it is. Then it's totally worth it.

Hope that clears this up.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                    Exactly, the USA will be there with you for a lifetime. If you are regularly gigging and playing seriously, you want a guitar that will deliver night after night. The USA will do it the best. The import won't be able to take the abuse. If you're just playing in your bedroom or the occasional garage band, no problem, the import will work.
                    I disagree, my DKMGTFF has seen roughly 70-80 gigs and aside from a broken string here and there the only thing to have not lasted on it is Ive had to replace one volume pot and one output jack, and thats just due to electronic components being electronic components.

I asked the same question about Import vs. USA and the main thing is that the USA models are hand crafted (no assembly line) by the custom shop employees who have a muuuuch higher salaries than the little kiddies in asia who work for a fish head and a bowl of rice. Thats not to say the USAs arent better quality, being hand crafted, higher quality goes hand in hand with hand crafted. The majority of the higher end Jackson imports are just as reliable as the USA models. Its all about how much the individual buyer is willing/ able to spend.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Yes, and there isn't even necessarily better attention to detail on the USA's.

The only thing I can think of that's "flimsy" on the Imports is the tremolo, which can be replaced with an OFR (bridge). Some guys say the import lock nut is fine, but if it were a "lifetime keeper" I'd replace that with the Floyd unit, too.

Most of the reasons I buy USA's are cosmetic. If I just wanted a really kick-ass Jackson guitar I'd probably get a DK2M and put an OFR on it, and have the lock nut shelf cut down/re-drilled for an R3 Floyd nut, and play it for a lifetime, on stage or anywhere else, without worrying about anything more than I would a USA Jackson. :dunno:

Comment

I agree with jazz....for an import, my DK2M would be the best bet with a OFR upgrade, and maybe some EMG's. The biggest plus for me in the USA model though is the ebony fret board....love that ebony. IMO, rosewood just doesn't compare, but the maple is pretty close to the same type of bright sound I like.
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

yeah i cant agree. my model6 the only import i still own, i bought new in 87. back when i was gigging that guitar has survived more abuse than any guitar ive ever owned. i dont think my USA soloist is that much better than the Mod6. that said i wouldnt subject my soloist to the type of abuse i gave the model 6, that guitar was bounched off floors, set on fire, thrown at drummers, and other band members who pissed me off, broke at least one audience members nose, was covered in libral amounts of beer and soco. its still a great guitar, & a killer conversation peice. WTF happened to that thing is the question most asked when people see it.....well let me tell ya....

Comment

Used USA's are right in the range of the higher end imports now, I'd go that route.
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                              What about 90's-built imports? Weren't they on par with USA models?
                              Only the higher end models from 1990 - 1995.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X