Question on SL2H-ALDER/MAPLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on SL2H-ALDER/MAPLE

Hey everybody, I just had a question on the SL2H (USA) I recieved Monday. I am trying to decide if it's a keeper or not before the grace period is up.

Overall the intonation of this guitar sounds pretty good and it plays very smooth so I think it may have potential. The problem I am having is it sound very inarticulate...the individual notes don't seem to seperate very well on any of my amp settings. I have a jb in the bridge of both my dk2s and this sl2h, but the dk2s doesn't seem to have this problem even though the it sounds very thin and weak in comparison. The 59 in the neck also has the same issue on the sl2h.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy heavy, distorted sounds and the larger sound of the guitar is appreciated, but not at the expense that you can't decifer individual notes and find the character of the guitar. I am thinking maybe it needs a more neutral pickup and I will just have to rely on the amp for more distortion. I also plan on taking it to the music store to try with a quality tube amp as opposed to my vox modeling/tube hybrid.

I am still considering getting a sl2h-mah instead, but I don't think this will solve the problem I am having so I want to give this one a chance first. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    Jackson DK2S Dinky w/Sustainiac
    Vox Valvetronix AD120
    BBE Sonic Maximizer
    Every day I am forced to add another name to the list of people in this world who can KISS MY ASS!!!

She told me to kiss her where it stinks, so I took her to the restroom!:idea:

I have several Soloists and never had such a problem with any of them. Try it as you said through a good amp and also maybe it just needs a pickup height adjustment. Check that as well. One last thing which is simple and overlooked, new strings! Even though its a new guitar if its been sitting around the store for a long time the strings may be dead! In fact I'd probably change those before even messing with pickup height as those are usually set pretty good from the factory to begin with.
    Good luck
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

The MAH Soloist will be even darker and muddier than a SL2H... the DK2 articulates better because its a 'bolt-on'... raise the pickup height on the soloist just a hair for starters, see if that helps, otherwise, consider new pickups, the 'SH/TB-5 Custom' and 'SH/TB-14 Custom 5' are real nice, or try EMG 81/85, probably the most articulate pickups available, with a super tight bottom-end. The new EMG 81x/85x are a 'more passive' sounding active pickup, so those would probably be killer in the guitar.

Thats what I'd do... EMG's sound great in darker/muddier toned soloists, the sound is HUGE
      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Yeah, I was just thinking about that...I assumed the pickups would be set up already, but I will check when I get home because both pickups are about the same height. They may have just slapped them in there. The strings feel and sound pretty new, but there is a little discoloration, probably from that greasy chinese I ate last night. Hopefully it's that simple.

Thanks
        Vox Valvetronix AD120
        BBE Sonic Maximizer
        Every day I am forced to add another name to the list of people in this world who can KISS MY ASS!!!

Comment

I've always resisted active pick-ups just because of all the reviews that say they have a lifeless sound and I don't want that. Still, maybe that is the ticket...the soloist is pretty dark, even with the alder. Maybe I can find a clip on U-tube. If that's the case I could always return this one for an active pickup model. I do hear that the active pickup has improved over the years. I may just be trying too hard to make the guitar into a jack of all trades instead of accentuating what they do best. How do the active pick-ups sound on clean settings with the soloist?

Thanks for the suggestions.
          Vox Valvetronix AD120
          BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

No issues with mine. Very clear attack.

Comment

Originally posted by patmac3 View Post
              I've always resisted active pick-ups just because of all the reviews that say they have a lifeless sound and I don't want that. Still, maybe that is the ticket...the soloist is pretty dark, even with the alder. Maybe I can find a clip on U-tube. If that's the case I could always return this one for an active pickup model. I do hear that the active pickup has improved over the years. I may just be trying too hard to make the guitar into a jack of all trades instead of accentuating what they do best. How do the active pick-ups sound on clean settings with the soloist?

Thanks for the suggestions.
              Very glassy, they are very reactive to the volume knob on the guitar... Honestly the 85 sounds really good clean, alot of people don't realize that, even the 81 sounds good clean, just roll off the volume a bit
              Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

I think the 60 is a little better clean, but thats just me. I also agree, try out a pair of EMG's. But first I'd put my efforts more towards a good tube amp before anything else really, if I were you.
                Jackson USA guitars
                BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                Diezel VH4
                Framus Cobra
                VHT UL
                Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                Mesa MK3
                Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

I'm not crazy about EMG's myself although I do like "that sound" for some things (thrash metal/speed metal/heavy riffing kinda stuff.)

I think the JB sounds about as good as the JB is ever gonna sound in a Soloist. However, it doesn't sound as good as a custom in a Soloist.

But, the Soloist is always going to be warmer/smoother and less "punchy" than a bolt-on. I have SH-5's (Duncan Custom) and TB5's (Duncan Custom Trembucker-spaced) in several guitars, and they all sound a little different, because they're made of different woods and such, but the Soloist just has more bass, is smoother, more "even" toned. It's the only one that isn't a bolt-on, but it's not the only maple/ebony/alder guitar.

Out of any of them, the single-hum Warmoth (Korina neck, Ebony board, Alder body w/flush mount Floyd) sounds the best to my ears. Anything from Zepellin to thrash metal. I have no idea why, but that guitar just kills. :dunno:

Comment

Dimarzio tone tone bridge and paf anniversary neck. Fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by fatstrat View Post
                      Dimarzio tone tone bridge and paf anniversary neck. Fixed!
                      Tone Zone and Air Norton happens to be my current favorite pickup combo. But I still say change the strings first, then adjust pickup height if necessary, then start trying different pickups whether active or passive.
                      Don't under estimate the dead strings issue. I bought one of Jack Frost's custom shop Kellys used. Its a string thru with factory EMG's. The strings were dead on it and after a quick change and setup that thing just rips! That reminds me. I have a gig tomorrow night perhaps I'll take it out and play it a bit
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

The new strings on Jackson are crap, they always sound dead to me. The Vox amps are muddy shit to me, bought one last year and I have already bought another amp to replace it. The pickup heights will help to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          The new strings on Jackson are crap, they always sound dead to me. The Vox amps are muddy shit to me, bought one last year and I have already bought another amp to replace it. The pickup heights will help to.
                          I don't care for the new VOX modeling amps, but the old blue face ad120vtx is about as good as I've heard for modeling amps. It is a hybrid with tubes in it. It is muddy, but with a bbe sonic maximizer in the effects loop it sounds pretty damn good. That is a really good addition to muddy amps. Just have to mic it up because although its loud, it thins out at high volumes. Great practice amp, but better for rock than heavy metal if you plan on gigging without a mic. Not going to get a real heavy crunch, but it's ok for that. Have to set back the mids. I love mine, but that's just me.

Anyway, I sent the Jackson back...not so sure I couldn't have found the sound I wanted, but didn't want to get stuck with something that wasn't what I want. At this point, I prefer the bolt-on Jackson. The only guitar that I really like the sound of that isn't a bolt-on is a Gibson at this point. Not that I have played many neck throughs. I adjusted the pickups on the soloist and got the articulation ok, but the distortion just sounded off what I was looking for. I would like to hear a Mah because I hear it sounds a bit smoother with less high end. The waiting list is pretty long for one of those...the guy in Houston said 2 years if they accept the order. Have to check another dealer. The alder soloist sounded kck ass clean though. Oh well, everybody has their own thing, just have to keep looking. Thanks for the help guys.
                          Vox Valvetronix AD120
                          BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

Originally posted by patmac3 View Post
                            I don't care for the new VOX modeling amps, but the old blue face ad120vtx is about as good as I've heard for modeling amps. It is a hybrid with tubes in it. It is muddy, but with a bbe sonic maximizer in the effects loop it sounds pretty damn good. That is a really good addition to muddy amps. Just have to mic it up because although its loud, it thins out at high volumes. Great practice amp, but better for rock than heavy metal if you plan on gigging without a mic. Not going to get a real heavy crunch, but it's ok for that. Have to set back the mids. I love mine, but that's just me.

Anyway, I sent the Jackson back...not so sure I couldn't have found the sound I wanted, but didn't want to get stuck with something that wasn't what I want. At this point, I prefer the bolt-on Jackson. The only guitar that I really like the sound of that isn't a bolt-on is a Gibson at this point. Not that I have played many neck throughs. I adjusted the pickups on the soloist and got the articulation ok, but the distortion just sounded off what I was looking for. I would like to hear a Mah because I hear it sounds a bit smoother with less high end. The waiting list is pretty long for one of those...the guy in Houston said 2 years if they accept the order. Have to check another dealer. The alder soloist sounded kck ass clean though. Oh well, everybody has their own thing, just have to keep looking. Thanks for the help guys.
                            two years for a MAH Soloist? That sounds too long to me. Try contacting one of our sponsoring dealers to see if they have one in stock or can get you one. I have also seen a couple SL2H-MAH Soloists on e-Bay brand new from other dealers withing the last few months. In fact there was one in Natural finish identical to mine on there a little while back. Haven't checked recently to see if its still on there but it was relisted several times with no bids when I did have it on my watch list.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X