Best Pickup for SL1T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pickup for SL1T

Here's the story: I love my guitar as far as action, speed, and looks goes, but I don't like how much treble the bridge humbucker puts out. I want a pickup with much more bass and midrange. I love the dirty sound of my 335. Yes, I know it is a hollow body but I like the way the Jackson plays a lot more. Any suggestions on a pickup which has more low end?

Dimarzio Super 3

Comment

I actually find my Soloist to be too dark with not enough bite (stock JB). I'm thinking of replacing it with a TB14, which is what's in my 1 hum SD reissue Charvel. I find I'm using the Charvel almost exclusively at the moment, not because it plays any better, it just has the right amount of aggression.

Comment

Seymour Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Comment

dimarzio tone zone! I replaced the stock JB in my kelly and it is the best swap I ever did, and I have tone zone's in most of my guitars. but if you are a duncan fan, a duncan distortion with a treble bleed gets rid of that high end thinness and bite without sounding like your tone knob is all the way down.

Comment

also, try just flipping the pickup completely around before you replace it. you would be surprised how easy it changes the EQ on your pickup!

Comment

Fatstrat,

Do you use a capacitor alone or with a resistor with your treble bleed?

Comment

The JB sucks the highs right out. Or a Duncan Custom Custom - very middy with muted highs.
                '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                '98 PRS Custom 22
                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

JB is in there stock... I do not like the JB. However, it sounds decent in a Soloist (not a hardtail Soloist, but in general.)

I put Duncan Customs in everything. I love that pickup. I put one in my SL1, and I'm not sure I like it. It has, to be technical, what I would describe as "a metric assload of bass." Which, it does in my Charvels, too, but, it also cuts through pretty good on the high end, but I'm not really hearing that so much on the SL1... Just the assloads of bass.

So, to me, a Soloist is a pretty bassy guitar. Any pickup that isn't really bright should sound like what you're looking for. I like a pretty bright tone in general, so the Custom might be what you're looking for.

Comment

+1 on Super Distortion
                    Tone Zone should fit the bill as well, never had one
                    I switched the JB for a DiMarzio Evo2 in my kelly and it is my favorite pickup yet. I thought the JB was all high mids and highs with no growl. The Evo2 has that nice low mid growl and great harmonics. The Tone Zone or SD will have more bass though.

Comment

Ah, yeah. The Tone Zone rips. I had one in a bolt-on Charvel... Loved the sound of that guitar. Not sure what it would sound like in a Soloist, but I did find the tone very pleasing on that pickup.

Comment

Working...
                      X