Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 Soloist Pro for a Dinky of the same year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Soloist Pro for a Dinky of the same year?

Just a quick question fellas, I'm looking at a possible trade here and would appreciate your input. I have a 1994 Soloist Pro. Very good condition, newish frets, original pickups. Up for trade is a 1994 Pile O' Skulls Dinky Custom with EMGs. I'd have to put in some cash too. What do you think? I'm partial to Dinkies and the Skulls is my favorite Jackson graphic, but they do say the 1990-1994 Pros rival the same era USA Jacksons in quality.

Sorry for the hijack in advance but I dig your avatar..WORF!!! Friggin A!!!
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Just save a little cash and score a DK2 Pile 'O Skulls for $500ish. I've seen at least 2 locally (within Ontario) in the last year.

I got mine for about $500 used as well.

Comment

I got one! Even for 500$ i don't know if i'd sell it. I usually don't become attached to imports, but this one surpasses a lot of guitars i've had. Even the Duncan designs are crispier and have more gut than the seymours the put now

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
          Just a quick question fellas, I'm looking at a possible trade here and would appreciate your input. I have a 1994 Soloist Pro. Very good condition, newish frets, original pickups. Up for trade is a 1994 Pile O' Skulls Dinky Custom with EMGs. I'd have to put in some cash too. What do you think? I'm partial to Dinkies and the Skulls is my favorite Jackson graphic, but they do say the 1990-1994 Pros rival the same era USA Jacksons in quality.
          Ok, you have a 1994 Soloist Pro. Rosewood fretboard? Anything special about the color to make it worth more?

What pickups are in this axe?

You want to trade for a Dinky Custom. Do you mean a DK1 or a DK2 (much more common)?

Are EMGs a plus or a minus?

Does either / both / neither have real MOP sharkies?

Just trying to weigh the features of each to get an idea of if this is a good trade or not.

Comment

Are the graphics on the current/recent imports airbrushed or printed? That might not matter to someone who just wants a cool graphic - and Pile o' Skulls is a favorite of mine - but a handpainted factory graphic rightfully demands a higher price.

I have a `90 Soloist Pro, and it's a great guitar on par with my USAs, but there are certainly some situations where I'd trade it and maybe pay a bit extra for a USA Dinky. There is a mentality among some players that neck-thru is better than bolt-on, but if you don't feel that way, go with your gut feeling. My most comfortable-playing guitars are bolt-ons.
            sigpic

Comment

Mine is an ebony board Soloist Pro. Ron would call it a PRO. Based on the serial, the Dinky is a USA made Dinky Custom from 1994.

I prefer bolt-on and the EMG's are a plus for me... and the graphic. I'm going to make the trade if the guitar is still available.

Thanks for your input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                Are the graphics on the current/recent imports airbrushed or printed? That might not matter to someone who just wants a cool graphic - and Pile o' Skulls is a favorite of mine - but a handpainted factory graphic rightfully demands a higher price.
                I haven't seen a recent example but they were certainly handpainted when they introduced them. The artist would even sign them. I remember Kevin Easton being very proud of that fact, considering all those wild ESP & Dean graphics are screenprinted.

Having said that, I'd definitely consider trading for a cool US Dinky. Something about those sexy necks.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I would say it all boils down to the feel... if you love the feel of the Dinky, do it! My two favorite guitars I've ever owned were Jackson USA bolts (a DK-1 and Fusion), sadly stolen.
                  KV Pro, SL2H, KE2, DK2M, Model 7 Tele, 6505+, Metal

Comment

I hesitated and it looks like this one got away... bummer.

Oh yeah and Twitch, thanks for the Worf props!

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                      I hesitated and it looks like this one got away... bummer.

Oh yeah and Twitch, thanks for the Worf props!
                      That sucks. A MIJ Pro to a USA DK1 would be an upgrade for you (downgrade for the other guy), even if it's a bolt on. And having the old skulls graphic would have been awesome.

I don't see it mentioned - what color is your Soloist?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        That sucks. A MIJ Pro to a USA DK1 would be an upgrade for you (downgrade for the other guy), even if it's a bolt on. And having the old skulls graphic would have been awesome.

I don't see it mentioned - what color is your Soloist?
                        The Soloist is a metallic black. Nothing to increase its value I suppose. Pictures: http://samun.1g.fi/kuvat/jackson_soloist_pro/

Can't be too sad about it though, I've had the Soloist for a few years and I think it's a fantastic guitar. The Dinky would have been spot on though... oh well. That's what you get sometimes when you start hemming and hawing around. I'll get my DK1 some day.

Comment

Il trade you my DK2 Pile o' skulls for it .

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                            Il trade you my DK2 Pile o' skulls for it .
                            LOL, me too!

Comment

In my expierience, I don't think I would trade your soloist....better to just save up and buy another if you want that graphic. I look at it this way, I have an early USA Soloist which RARELY leaves the house or even the case. It's a great guitar and I love it since it plays like butter and it's the first REAL guitar I bought with my own money at the age of 16, but the shape isn't for me anymore so it's quite neglected. The opportunity to trade it has offerred itself more than once but here's the thing that always stops me. I know I love the Soloist, the way it plays...the way it sounds. In the 24 years I've owned it I can honestly say that it has always been one of my favorites neglected or not. To simply trade it away for something that looks cool is a hell of a gamble. Could do the trade and be happy for a week then decide that the new acquisition just doesn't compare to what you had for whatever reason..... So a trade is a double edged sword. That's why anything short of an equivelant V or Kelly from the same era, I wouldn't even think about a trade.

Trades can work too if you have an axe that you like but it's just missing something. I Traded a Black w/gold pins RR1 for my KV2 Blue Ghost Flames and couldn't be happier with the result. Guess what I'm saying is if you aren't 100% sure, don't ever pull the trigger on a trade.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X