New to the Custom Shop... Need Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Custom Shop... Need Help!!

Alright guys, I'm new to the forums and am about to order my first custom shop Jackson. what I'm looking at getting is as follows:

Soloist
    -Mahogany body- scalloped horn
    -3/4" spalted maple arched top
    -3-piece mahogany speed neck (possibly 3-piece maple)
    -ebony Fretboard, black Mother of Pearl sharkfin inlays
    -black binding on neck and headstock
    -emg 81x/85x with battery compartment
    -Original Floyd- recessed
    -black hardware, single volume, 3-way toggle, strat input jack (side of body)
    -oiled neck
    -Reversed Headstock with spalted overlay and black pearl logo.
    -clear lacquer (I wanted to get the whole thing oil finished, but the CS says spalt is too soft and has to be lacquered)

I was hoping to get some input from you guys who may have experience with the custom shop, one of the things I'm not sure about is the Spalted top... anybody have one I might be able to see pictures of? I was also thinking flamed top, or possibly no top.

Also, can someone recommend a good shop to put a custom order through... my local shop closed down in the fall, so there really isn't one near by, I have been told to get into contact with a couple of shops and make them bid against each other to get a good price. I've heard Napa music supply is good to deal with, and to stay away from Fullers...

Anyways, any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Are you sure ?

"-ebony Fretboard, black Mother of Pearl sharkfin inlays
    -black binding on neck and headstock" ???

That's... interesting

I think some dealers here can help you with the ordering process.

Comment

I would reconsider black binding on ebony. It's almost pointless because it is hard to see. Have you considered a maple board if you want black MOP and black binding? If you had that, along with the matching spalted headstock, then black binding would work better and I think the black MOP would look fantastic in that combination. It's your guitar so do what you want but that's just my idea for making it a little more unique.

For dealers, check out Matt's Music or one of the other JCF sponsor dealers. They all do custom shop ordering from what I remember; I know Matt does for sure. There should be feedback for them in the feedback section of the forum from people who have dealt with them in the past if you need references.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
      X