Identifying a Jackson PC1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a Jackson PC1

A guy wrote me for a trade...the guitar that i have to take in is a Jackson PC1 ,
    he claims it as custom shop model, i have some reserve about it what do you think?

He said that the guitar came with the old charvel/jackson logo case,
    koa body and custom inlays.

i think it's a post-2001 model because it got 3 pots, the inlays are legit or aftermarket?
    thanks

Serial number 003989

This is the photo (i'm waiting other ones)

Last edited by tibiuccio; 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM.

Hard to really tell from the pics, but the inlays look to be MOP and not just decals. It would be the first PC1 I've seen with inlays... kinda weird

Sears headstock on that one or a strathead? I'm assuming sears. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics.

If it truly is KOA that would be a great guitar that many here would love to have. (me included)

Cheers,
    Chris

Comment

I doubt it's Koa - that was only used in the first couple of years if I recall correctly, before the addition of the tone pot. I imagine that the inlays are stickers, but if not, I'd bet they're aftermarket...
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Short of the "inlays", it looks like a production PC1 to me.
        My favorite finish too.
        I would guess (hope) those are stickers and someone didn't put tacky diamond shaped inlays on a PC1.

And no, it's not Koa as they switched to Mahogany towards the end of the second year of production.
        And as Nelli points out, they also didn't have a tone knob.
        Last edited by rjohnstone; 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM.
        -Rick

Comment

Hmmm. What's interesting about that one is that it appears to have a quilted maple fretboard, rather than flamed maple. Hard to tell for sure from the one pic, though. They switched to flamed maple after the first couple of years. But that doesn't seem to jibe with the 3-knob layout, which earlier PC1s didn't have. So what is it...?

- A "real" custom shop order done with quilted f'board and koa body? (Maybe the inlays are legit after all?)

- A parts mutt? Later era 3 knob PC1 body + an earlier era neck w/quilted fretboard? (Sticker "inlays"?)

- None of the above?

Bottom line: need more pics.

Comment

thanks guys, i'm waiting for more photos, i'll post them soon

Comment

Get the serial number... that will tell what year it was made.

Shreddermon raises a good point about the fretboard.

The 3rd knob (Tone) was added in 2001
              2001 and early 2002 were the only PC1's to have a quilt board AND 3 knobs.
              The PC1 got a flame board in late 2002.

So this could be a 2001 or early 2002 PC1 with stickers the board.
              -Rick

Comment

photos are here

Comment

That's definitely KOA!!!
                  Nice!

The headstock cut indicates it's a first year PC1. (1996)
                  The Koa would fall inline with that too.
                  The serial number will tell the year.

The tone knob could have been added later. Not real hard to do.
                  Find out about the inlays too.. are they stickers or the real deal.
                  -Rick

Comment

other photos added, it seems koa to me, inlays seems real not stickers but it could be an aftermarket work of a liuther.
                    Waiting for the serial number...

i have to trade it with a tom anderson drop top...and i don't know what to do

Comment

Depends on the colour / specs / condition of the Anderson - I'd have thought that'd be worth more than a moddified PC1 though...

Comment

I'm sure fit and finish wise they are pretty close. I, in a less informed way agree with Neilli money wise, so if value is most important to you, I'd think you are probably better off not doing it. But if the Sustainer and/or the koa/quilt maple features cause lust then make the decision with the little head.
                        Last edited by Hellbat; 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM. Reason: brootal grammar.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

This is my drop top in top conditions

i think i could ask for the pc1+ money, but i don't like the "modify" of that pc1

Comment

Nice looking Anderson - the PC1 looks nice, but there are others around that haven't been moddified, so I'd hold off personally...

Comment

Yeah, if it were me I'd keep the Anderson and buy a PC-1 lol. That looks like a fine guitar.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X