Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on SL1

Gentlemen,
    I am in the market for a USA Jackson, I have never owned one, and I see a tye die colored one on sale at GC. The only issue is that it is out of state and none of the music stores carry American Jacksons. I own a Japanese DK2M and a Charvel 475 deluxe and they are my two favorite guitars. I hear from the posts here that the USA compared to the Japanese models are night in day. I find it hard to believe that the build quality can get better. My question is on necks, how does a USA SL1 neck compare to the above mentioned necks. To me, the neck is the heart of a guitar, and the determining factor on my purchase. I am not against purchasing a used SL1 from GC as they have a great return policy. Any advice on what to look for, what to except, ect.

Regards,

Sean

The tie die would be Eerie Des Swirl. From what I've read here, I'd say the SL1 neck would be flatter but also wider than the bolt-on's you mention. I've previously owned a DK1, DK2S, DK2M and DXMG. I found the DK1's neck is much thinner than my WR1 (ignore the body shape). I've come close to buying a Soloist, but still haven't had the pleasure of getting one home to tell the difference.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Assuming the neck is similar to the SL2H's then it's possibly on the thicker side for jackson not PC-1 thick but thicker than some like...

As long as the SL-1's in playable condition and a good price go for it worst case scenario you dont gel wiht it and take it back or sell it...

It could have a tye dye finish I have seen some jacksons with that the eirie dessert swirl is much less gaudy...

Comment

i gig regularly with an SL-1, so i am quite familiar with the neck. it is a bit thicker than one would expect, but insanely comfortable and easy to play. i have a PC-1 also, and have owned SL2H's. the PC neck is WAY thicker. the SL2H neck is identical to the SL-1.

i went from playing ibanez and ESP to playing the PC-1, then down the SL guitars. i had NO problem adjusting. sometimes i like to go back to the ibanez neck, but the SL-1 neck is the most comfy of ALL of them.

hope that helps....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          The tie die would be Eerie Des Swirl.
          How do you know it's not an earlier model with the actual Tie Dye paintjob?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            How do you know it's not an earlier model with the actual Tie Dye paintjob?
            I've seen the Tie Dye painted version on ebay a few times. Pretty cool and definitely not Erie Dess.

Comment

This is tye-dye
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by mpanderson70 View Post
                Gentlemen,
                I am in the market for a USA Jackson, I have never owned one, and I see a tye die colored one on sale at GC. The only issue is that it is out of state and none of the music stores carry American Jacksons. I own a Japanese DK2M and a Charvel 475 deluxe and they are my two favorite guitars. I hear from the posts here that the USA compared to the Japanese models are night in day. I find it hard to believe that the build quality can get better. My question is on necks, how does a USA SL1 neck compare to the above mentioned necks. To me, the neck is the heart of a guitar, and the determining factor on my purchase. I am not against purchasing a used SL1 from GC as they have a great return policy. Any advice on what to look for, what to except, ect.

Regards,

Sean
                Sean,

Regarding necks only, as I am very picky as well:

I have a 2005 Bengal SL2H. The neck is fat compared to my other Jacksons, about the same as my 2003 DK2. About the same as my 60s necked Les Pauls. Still very fast and playable.

I played a very old SL1 (probably the same year as your tie dye) at a GC a couple of weeks ago. The neck was thinner and faster than my current SL2H. So I'm thinking older is thinner.

I have a new RR24M. This neck is thinner than the SL2H.

I have a 1992 and 1995 RR1. Both of these are slightly fatter than the RR24M, not by much, but thinner than the SL2H.

I have a Charvel 750XL - this is about the same as the RR1's.

I have three Fusions - thinnest of all J/C necks IMO.

I have a DK1, thinner than my SL2H but not Fusion thin.

Going by what you have now, I'm guessing the Tie Dye will have a thinner neck (not drastically thinner) than your current guitar. I'm basing this on:

1. Your DK2M being a similar shape to my DK2 and SL2H
                2. I've heard 475's are not fat, but not shredder thin
                3. My experience with that 1991 SL1 a couple of weeks ago. Love that thin shredder neck!

So if you don't like thin necks, you might be disappointed.

Good luck!

Comment

The thing that confuses me..... The King V, Warrior, and Kelly share a slightly thinner neck than the Soloist and Rhodes models. I've also heard people refer to the King V's neck as the jackson "speed neck." Is this 750/835 neck the one that is the speed neck?

I would bet you would like the Soloist neck, they are thicker but play really well.
                  Jackson USA guitars
                  BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                  Diezel VH4
                  Framus Cobra
                  VHT UL
                  Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                  Mesa MK3
                  Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Gentlemen,
                    Thanks for your input, it has been quite informative. I feel based on what I have read, that it exactly what I am looking for. Once I purchase, I will post photos and my opinion.
                    Thanks again.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                    X