MAH Soloist Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAH Soloist Questions

Hello again. Maybe some of you know some answers: When did Jackson start offering the MAH as a special model? Why is it the natural finish model is so prevalent and there seem to be no pics anywhere of the trans finishes that are available on MAHs, not even in the Jackson catalog? Where does Jackson get their mahogany, surely not Honduras? Are there going to be other models offered as MAHs, ever? Thanks for any help.

Here's pics of my new MAH Soloist:

http://www.willoughbymusic.com/pages...HFMAHBCSB.html
    Last edited by LuvMAHSoloist; 11-21-2009, 12:36 AM.

Originally posted by LuvMAHSoloist View Post
    Hello again. Maybe some of you know some answers: When did Jackson start offering the MAH as a special model?
    Don't know.
    Why is it the natural finish model is so prevalent and there seem to be no pics anywhere of the trans finishes that are available on MAHs, not even in the Jackson catalog?
    Don't know.
    Where does Jackson get their mahogany, surely not Honduras?
    Don't know.
    Are there going to be other models offered as MAHs, ever?
    Don't know.
    Thanks for any help.
    No problem:ROTF:

Comment

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Comment

I though I remember reading they were introduced in 2002 .

I believe the mahogany does come from Honduras .

I know the SLATQH , SLS (2003-2005 model) and the KV2T are .

The SLATQH and SLS are discontinued.

As far as color choice maybe someone at Jackson likes plain maple :think:.
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
          I though I remember reading they were introduced in 2002 .

I believe the mahogany does come from Honduras .

I know the SLATQH , SLS (2003-2005 model) and the KV2T are .

The SLATQH and SLS are discontinued.

As far as color choice maybe someone at Jackson likes plain maple :think:.
          Thanks Model 88. I'm not seeing pics of the trans finish MAHS anywhere, and many pics of regular line model Soloists that look the same as the MAHS I've seen. I think the MAHS should come w/ a certificate or special serial #, to prove you are getting what you pay the extra money for. I'll post some personal pics of the new axe soon.

Comment

I think the MAHS should come w/ a certificate or special serial #, to prove you are getting what you pay the extra money for.
            Congrats on the new axe. Nice choice.

Don't know why you'd need a certificate to "prove" anything, though. It's very easy to tell mahogany from the standard SL's maple/alder wood combination in the back. The wood grains are very different and, hence, it's very obvious to tell the two models apart.

Comment

Well all the MAH soloist are trans finish and transparent on the back . If you know what the grain on mahogany looks like it is easy to tell one from a alder soloist . The neck on a regular solosit with a trans finish is much lighter than the body . The only one that might not be transparent is the trans black . It might be solid like the SLATQH was (never seen a trans black SLS or KV2T) .
              Mike
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
                It might be solid like the SLATQH was (never seen a trans black SLS or KV2T) .
                Oddly enough, on the KV2T it's transparent. This is a trans black KV2T from ebay.co.uk (even if it does look brown):

Comment

That KV2T is a natural finish, not trans black. Ebay seller must be color blind.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    That KV2T is a natural finish, not trans black. Ebay seller must be color blind.
                    Mahogany is typically not that dark even with a clear coat. That looks like it was stained brown.

Comment

Okay, thanks for all the help, everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                        That is the trans. black finish on the KV2T. The natural finish is much, much lighter:

Comment

I had a natural finish Y2KV, and it was exactly like that KV2T headstock and back. Not all mahogany is the same shade of brown. Sorry guys, IMHO that's natural, not trans black.

Comment

My SL1F's back was solid black... All of the MAH Soloists I've seen are transparent on the back, and yes you can see the mahogany wood grain pretty easily.

And IMO that KV2T is not Trans Black. :think:

Comment

One thing is for sure, it's droolworthy.

Every KV2T I've seen with the natural finish has been like the light coloured one above.

Here are pictures of an older trans. black KV2T for comparison (which, to be fair, looks like it has blackburst edges).

The rest of the pictures of the UK ebay trans. black KV2T can be found at the following URL (click the pics for bigger versions). It looks totally different to natural IMO and is reminiscent of the trans. black finish on the Korina KV1. It could just be that the natural light in the photos is confusing matters, but I think it's stained.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jackson-KV2T-K...ht_3527wt_1167
                              Last edited by ken; 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X