Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pick Ups for S2LH

Hey Guys,

Ive being toying with the idea of putting in new pick ups in my S2LH.

From memory I have a Seymor Duncan JB in the neck and a Jazz in the neck, im not 100% on this as I havent really looked into it, it is a stock USA S2LH so if anyone knows that would be great!

For some reason I really like that look of the soap bar kinda pick ups in guitars, and I think it would look real bad ass with my snake skin finish

are they hard to install, are they easy to change over from passive to activies? and is it worth it? anyone had any similar experience? Also what EMGs would suit? ive being reading about the 81' and the 85' so yer guys any thoughts would be great

thanks again

Steve

Originally posted by liquidtensionJP View Post

For some reason I really like that look of the soap bar kinda pick ups in guitars, and I think it would look real bad ass with my snake skin finish

Steve
    You say you like the way they look. It's just my opinion but, do you like the way they sound?

It would look pretty cool, but If your going to be playing it, make sure that you love the sound.

Comment

Soap bar/P-90 pickups won't fit in the route for humbuckers. You can get humbucker-sized P-90 pickups like Duncan Phat Cats or DiMarzio Bluesbuckers.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

will EMG 81s or 85s etc fit ?

my friend has the Slim Version of the Soloist, i think its a japanese Soloist but it has EMGs in it, they sound GREAT!

Comment

I'm confused. You talk about soap bars but then talk about EMG's? I guess you just want covered humbuckers. EMG's should fit your Soloist just fine.

Switching to active pickups generally requires that you replace both pickups at once and switch to 25k pots and a stereo output jack. If you've done electronics modifications to a guitar before it should be a breeze.

Comment

Like Zuppermuhle was saying, soap bars and emgs are like apples and oranges. To the best of my knowledge, soap bars are low output pickups and EMGs are high output pickups. So I would say that if you like the current stock pickups on your Sl2h and you like EMGs more than those, then I think that would be the better choice of the 2 for you to go with. EMGs that is.

Comment

If you like the sound of EMG's and dont want to piss around swapping the pots and so on, get some BKP Miracle Man pups. They're passive but have a similar tone (if not better). Expensive though.

It doesnt sound like you really want to put soapbars in there and I think they'd look shite in a Soloist anyway.
              All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

if you plan on playing more than blues(which is where i think p90s shine), or classic rock you should choose the EMGs, or a different higher output humbucker. i love p90s(the only single coil that i really like), but find them a bit limited due to their low output.

Comment

Working...
                X