Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phil Collen Archtop bass..How many have you seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phil Collen Archtop bass..How many have you se

<font color="yellow">Curt, I can host them for ya.

jacksonsl1 at earthlink dot net

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]</font>

Comment

Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

WOW!
        It looks great but the condition is ****!
        Congrats on finding this rare bass!
        Maybe Brooks will want it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Gracias Senor Sullivan...

...and Sam thanks for the offer.

It is in pretty bad shape. 100% factory with the exception of the low E tuner, which has been replaced with a Hipshot D-tuner (the orig tuner is in the case).

As you can see, the headstock was broken off completely down the center but fixed...it doesn't look pretty but it is solid. The finish is literally flaking off in LARGE pieces around the bridge area where you see big splotches of blue undercoat.

Dan Lawrence told me that in the early '90's Jackson experimented with a water based clearcoat material and this was the result...it didn't work very well.

Painted factory EMG's, black painted fretboard and no serial #!

My guess is that it was made for an endorsee. But who? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

So how much is the guy asking? PM if you want.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Im interested.....

What are those inlays, looks like fishing lures...

Brooks
              www.BrooksGuitarUniverse.com

Comment

jack's eye.

love the shape, but think the graphic is awful.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I really really really dig those inlays!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

It's cool...too bad about the condition...I'm curious what he's asking too...

- Joel
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

He's asking $1300 FIRM...

Also they're not inlays...actually a black painted fretboard (maple underneath I think!) with painted eyeballs.

This thing is REALLY cool and it played incredibly well. The condition of it is what kept me from buying it...if it didn't have the head break I might have picked it up &amp; re-cleared it through GMW.

Comment

$1300 really ain't bad for a bass that's what - 1 of 2 known to exist (this one and Dusty Hill's) - certainly no more than 5 due to the expense. Yeah it's gonna cost to have it refinished - if you so choose - but to leave it like it is probably wouldn't cause permanent damage.
                        You might be able to get by with just a clearcoating to keep it from getting worse.

And you can see the paint lifting off the fretboard edges (owner musta wore a ring). It's interesting, certainly, even though the face doesn't look as good as the other "Here's Johnny" graphic in the Archives.
                        Any clue who the owner was?

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc, if you want it I'd be more than happy to broker the deal for you...The owner is not an online kinda guy.

PM me &amp; let me know.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Gracias Senor Sullivan...

...and Sam thanks for the offer.

It is in pretty bad shape. 100% factory with the exception of the low E tuner, which has been replaced with a Hipshot D-tuner (the orig tuner is in the case).

As you can see, the headstock was broken off completely down the center but fixed...it doesn't look pretty but it is solid. The finish is literally flaking off in LARGE pieces around the bridge area where you see big splotches of blue undercoat.

Dan Lawrence told me that in the early '90's Jackson experimented with a water based clearcoat material and this was the result...it didn't work very well.

Painted factory EMG's, black painted fretboard and no serial #!

My guess is that it was made for an endorsee. But who? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda think Jeff Smeltz's bassist played a bass like that in the "Gullible Idiots" video... [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                            Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Curt - Thanks but I gotta pass (sadly) - Christmas and debt and all that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Nice find! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] The rarity factor of this bass is what makes it so interesting to me. The graphic and painted neck is pretty cool to. I would love to check that bass out. To bad the bass has the headstock issue. I have only seen pics of the other ZZ bass until this one showed up. Again, nice find Curt!

Comment

Working...
                                X