Billy Sheehan tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Billy Sheehan tone

Sorry for saying some of the stuff up there. Its just very hard for me to believe that there is someone better than Billy (at the moment) but there is always going to be someone better than the person I think or anyone thinks is awesome at bass. It was dumb of my but im sorry. I bet you are awesome at bass horns. I just sit in amazement though watching the "addicted to that rush" video from Mr.Big but I guess its a privilege to beadle to have someone thats that talented sit in here and post stuff. Like I said Sorry.

(I still know i cant spell, And I will start using Spellcheck [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] )

Comment

This has nothing to do with the Billy Sheehan tone but today at GC I got a Mace head by peavey for 150! Awesome Head 6 6L6 tubes UGH the tone was amazing from a Gibson Thunderbird to a Squire Pbass. Im not sure if its an Eletric guitar head or a bass head? Or is it one of thoughs made for anything (such as the century head from Peavey) It was 160 Watts at 8 ohms Or 320 at 4 ohms.

Comment

It's a guitar head, but with 160 watts of tubes at 8 ohms, and a solid state preamp it would work very well for bass. Low gain input is probably best for bass.

They sell for next to nothing because of the solid state preamp, since that puts off most guitarists, and because they're a single channel head. I think they have a pre out power in loop though, and that's one hella mono tube power amp for a good preamp. Buy two and rule the stage with 380 tube watts serving your rig!

I think the Deuce is the same thing but at 120 watts (4 tubes) and they're cheap too, but you can get a VTM 120 for the same price which has a tube preamp as well, and sounds like a modded JCM800 single-channel version.

Edited because I originally wrote Mace instead of Deuce in that last
        sentence.

[ May 04, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: syrinx ]

Comment

I only got to play on it for awhile...Sounded awesome though from what I heard. Cant wait to hear it with my Fender. Cant pick it up though tell the 11th. (back ground checks on the serial). And I guess I will beable to nail the Lynard Skynard tone perfect because from what I have learned There guitarist's and bass plaer used the mace. Well worth the money I think. Only thing I think I might do is build or buy a new head boxing for it. Something like the Marshall Plexi heads. Would look and sound killer.

[ May 04, 2003, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Lost Camel ]

Comment

syrinx, you won't see me solo,i'm not knocking anybody, i just don't think that is what a bass player is supposed to do. i know bill doesn't think geddy is any good but he adds a lot without doing a solo.i can relate to the wife getting all my stuff though!secret is to LEAVE HER AT HOME when you play out! as a side note i don't remember vh having any bass solos although the 80's are a little blurry! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ May 05, 2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: peabuddy ]
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Yeah, they WERE blurry!!! Only prob with
              leaving the wife/gf at home is that they still have their spies in the field - up to and including your bandmates who may want to f**k 'em, or any of THEIR wives and gfs who DO attend the show.

I saw VH on the Fair Warning Tour, and Michael Anthony DID do a bass solo, and though it was not mind-boggling I did not go for beer during it either.

I'm also a big Geddy Lee fan, and apologize for the solo wisecrack! When you're of New York descent you tend to throw out those snappy retorts, because everyone ELSE does! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

hey man don't worry about wisecracks as i'm a first class a**hole myself! it takes all kinds in this world but i would like to see bill's solo video it's just that i can't stand the tapping,slap thing.btw, i've met billy sheehan and he's a super nice guy i prefer a less busy style of bass. although bill(horns) did give me hell for using a tremelo on my jackson bass.

Comment

I wanted to put a tremolo on one of my bass's not to long ago....Still wouldn't mind to but I kinda just grew out of it...

Comment

i don't use it that much but it's cool when i do want to. btw, i bought that bass used with it already on it. apparently the guy didn't know what he had. i got it for 235.00. it's a san dimas plated custom shop #1991 no j in the serial number [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I was just woundering...Is there any like easy little mods I can do to a tube head..I like doing mod's. Anyone done anything that was worth recomending?

Comment

Best place to post that question is in the Amps and Effects section. Ask for Pete, aka Twisteramps. He is a real amp guru, and is a real stickler for safety,
                        so You may need to show him you know something about the subject to get some
                        detailed info from him. He has made killer homebrew amps for awhile and is now the newest boutique amp builder in
                        town - Twisteramps!

Did you get that Mace?

Comment

Working...
                        X