X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Billy Sheehan tone

Originally posted by Lost Camel:
    we all need to hale to you......your God on bass if your not lieing
    [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] All hale Horns [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're. Lying. Hail. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Invest in a dictionary, dude! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I truly cant spell, Thats the truth.

Comment

where did Bill "slam" Billy Sheehan? He said that he can tap and slap better than Billy, but at the same time, praised Billy's amazing right hand. That's slamming him? Wake up.

Is it that hard to believe that someone could be better than your hero? Once upon a time, way back when, you wouldn't find a better rock bassist than John Entwistle. But gradually, smokin' unknown players (like Talas' Billy Sheehan) rear their heads and take the instrument to another level.

Are Flea (sorry, Michael Balzary) and Claypool the only gun bass players you know? Does having a video or a big fat recording contract or to be a "known" player the only indicators of proficiency on your instrument? I guess Fieldy must be pretty f*cking good then, because he's certainly making more money and is way more famous than Billy Sheehan right now.

Bill didn't say he doesn't play bass. He said he sold his bass gear 4 years ago to concentrate on guitar. That doesn't immediately disqualify the 20-something years he played bass before it. He'll certainly kick the arse of a lot of 4-year-guitarists too.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

BTW, since you've now got the "Billy Sheehan tone" (although you STILL haven't said how), has it given you "Billy Sheehan chops" too?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary ... you rule. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
              praised Billy's amazing right hand.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've got an amazing right hand I love to praise, too, but that's another story! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hot Karl's Secret Forest

Produced by Doc Dryer

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Though, Hot Karl will charge you $200 for his trade secrets! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks G ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey I have heroes too...the one who changed the way I looked at bass for the rest of my life is Tony Levin. Back in '81 I saw Levin W / King Crimson . he was slappin n' tappin on what I later learn was a Chapman stick.....I was obsessed with this technique instantly ...but I couldn't afford or know how to string or play a chapman , so I just adapted that stuf on the bass....Got me one of those old Dr. Rythm drum machines and within two years I could type 100 words a minute on the bass... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Sheehan's tapping consists mostly single string tapping lines and octaves ...ala Eruption....No multi-fingered tapping , No two hand tapping arpeggios , Absolutely no slapping whatsoever ....I never seen him get jiggy with it like Bootsy , Flea or Louis Johnson or Victor Wooten for that matter ....I never seen him play complex two handed piano compositions much like Stanley Jorden , Stu Hamm ( I assume is closest to my style) or Jeff Berlin ....

Billy is the best at what "HE" does.....unfortunately it's pretty one dimensional...IMO.....and so is his tone..

I didn't check my spelling ....so kiss my ass [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ May 02, 2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My Steve Lukather video has a previews clip of other vids, with a Louis Johnson clip that just made me $h!t myself (figuratively)!

If Stu Hamm most closely reflects your style, then yeah, it's not hard to believe you'd smoke Billy Sheehan in the
                      areas of slappin' and tappin'. That's nothing against Billy, it's just the jazz
                      guys play to a higher standard than rock
                      and metal guys. Stu is a jazz guy in rock clothing in my mind.

Comment

you guys are funny.bill might be bass god but i'd be willing to bet that when he started his 8 min solo,2/3 of the crowd(read non musicians)goes to get a beer!not trying to piss anyone off but most people don't want to hear that kind of playing.that's why acdc and other three chord bands can buy and sell bands like talas.i don't know about you, but i'd rather have a bunch of girls in the crowd instead of abunch of wannabe musicians with an impress me attitude JMO [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

I think that people WOULD stay for the solo and would watch it for the "wow" factor. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 03, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Word ]

Comment

maybe the first 2 or 3 minutes not the whole 8

[ May 03, 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: peabuddy ]
                            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

He said a 4 minute solo, not 8.

Maybe people just walk away when YOU solo, Peabuddy! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Just kidding! I'm sure you're a great soloist ~ [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'm also sure that an audience that goes to see a VH tribute band is open to listening to solos, and as for girls, Van Halen pulled a lot more girls than most bands ever dream of.
                              Not girls with meth sores and track marks either; FINE wimmens, as Dave
                              would say!

[ May 03, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: syrinx ]

Comment

Iv'e could of been very naughty with the ladies ...many , manyt times . But I''m too afraid of being caught by the wife ...she'll own all my stuff (House , Kid , Uberschall )

I have a video ...I'll see if John could record it and put it on the board somehow.

I thought John posted my VH band MP3s ...but I couldn't find them... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Nobody left during my solo.....I advised everyone that I was armed... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X