No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for a first bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any recommendations for a first bass?

I've found the problem with Fender-shaped basses (Concert bass, Precision, Jazz, etc etc - Strat-style) and their balance issue - i.e. wanting to sit perfectly level instead of up at an angle - is due to the front strap pin placement, just like on Explorer/Star/Kelly shapes. The pin needs to be on the underside of the horn, not the tip. Though most are not directly on the tip per se, they are still not under it far enough to make it sit at an angled-up position by default for all players.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Horns, They go for around 600 new. I got mine for 400 with case shipped. The newer ones have a flat finish. Mine has a clearcoat which is how the older ones were (yr of maufacture is 2000 on mine). I love it.

Comment

I 3rd the Spector. They make great basses. The NS4CRFM or NS5CRFM are built to the same specs that the USA basses are but, half the price. Probably the most comfortable bass I've ever played or owned.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.spectorbass.com

Comment

What do you guys think of the JP-90 Fender Bass? They were some hybrid P/jazz bass from the early 90's.
          I can get one for $200 and wanted to know if I should spend more money and get something else
          or get something else for the sam money..

Comment

I can't believe you guys are forgeting one of the best basses ever made and easily the best deal out there....... the 86-88 neck-thru Charvel 3B.

Comment

I have a 3B that I paid MUCH less than $600 for... in near mint condition, neck through, basically a bass version of a student soloist. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Absolutely smokes anything in the $600ish range, or at least anything I've ever laid hands on. Now I just have to find a ferrari red model 6 to hang next to it... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V:
                I bought a used Ibanez ergodyne edc 700 a few weeks ago and they are extrememy easy to play. If you can get over the fact that the body is made of luthite... which is basically a composite plastic. It sounds enormous and the eq on it can go from piano clean to believe it or not, light distortion/overdrive tones. Cool basses for the buck on the used market too. Neck is very thin. I have one of the early ones that are painted and clearcoated too. Before that I have owned 2 highend Soundgear Ibanez basses. Very thin necks and super easy to play.

My 2 cents.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I went thru three of these. They sounded great, and the necks were fast and thin, but I could never get the inconsistencey of the fretbuzzing out of the neck. After that, I decided to try some of the nicer Warwicks, and got hooked.

A few basses over the years that I've had and got rid of was a 89' BC Rich ST-3 bass. That was sweet... Or my first late 80's Fender USA P-Bass. It played and sounded really well, and wasn't a bad bass for the price, and componets and build quality was considerably nicer than the import or Squier lines. Wish I still had these two.

Ibanez makes some decent basses for a nice price, but if you've got some money to burn, I'd suggest taking a look at a 24 fret Warwick Thumb-Bolt on, or even the 26 fret neck thru Thumb.

Most of the other well made basses never really did much for me, Rickenbacker, Zon, Padulla (sp?), etc...
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Actually I just saw the new Warwick import models. I didnt think they were interested in that portion of the market. For the price, they seem like an unbeatable deal.........

Comment

i have 2 3b and 1 4b and the most i paid was 450 for the 4b fire crackle finish. both 3b were bought on ebay for less than 250 with shipping [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Those aren't even made by Warwick. I don't know about the quality of them, but I know they're much cheaper than the real German ones.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Get a G & L
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the RockBass is made in China. They droppped their $1000 basses to go for that product. When they discontinued the Standards, I snared mine for $499. Don't even think of a RockBass as a real Warwick.

Comment

First off, I'm assuming you are looking for a jackson or a charvel bass, since you asked your ? on this board. My recommendation would be a Kip Winger model Jackson. Neck- through, austr. lacewood,plays like butter, has killer active elecs. lightweight/comfortable to play for long gigs. I'm sure you could pick one up for about three fitty on E bay. Just keep an I out for it!

Comment

if you're looking for something cheep that sounds good, i recommend the Ibanez GSR200. everyone here will protest it, cuz they're all ibanez haters for some reason, but trust me ^.^ it's easy to play, fun to play, light, well balanced, and it has a nice p/j pickup configuration that gives you a nice wide array of tone.

Comment

my favorite bass that i own that was 600$ or so is my jap fender precision bass lyte deluxe. or you could pay only like 250 and get a mexican fender pbass which is pretty good for a first bass. pbass light might have too many knobs if youre just starting. i might be selling my warwick corvette if you have 800

[ February 25, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: grandmaster_v ]

Comment

Working...
                                X