AG Bass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AG Bass...

can you guys tell me what really is the difference in the high end basses and saya 6=7 hundred dollar bass?i mean does the neck feel that much better or the tone better.i've never had a chance to play one and only recently started messing with a 5 string.i know the wood are more exotic but is there really a big difference in playability?
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

There IS a difference with some of the higher-end basses. To say that no bass is worth over $1000 is silly. Now, of course, the law of diminishing returns does apply, and a $3000 bass is not 3 times better than a $1000 bass.

Have you every played a Pedulla MVP 5 or 6 string? The nicest bass I've touched yet. Tight B string, beautiful sound, just jaw-dropping. Also, the higher end Warwicks are superb, even my Standard is a great bass. Worlds better than the $500-600 bass range. I couldn't find a tight B string to save my life in anything under $1000.

Comment

Well I can understand why you like Jackson basses as far as the neck is concerned. The cost question is kind of a hard to answer . You just have to go and play them , that's what it comes down to. I played every bass I ever came across cheap , expensive and other wise. Vester used to make basses some years back. They were cheap as dirt but played exceptionally great , so I bought one. It felt weird that that bass was in the same company of my Pedulla , Kubicki , Alembic and Ken Smith . But that piece of crap sounded and played great. Carlo Bella..makes an awesome bass that is VERY cheap. Damn thing looks and plays like a thousand dollar bass.... Neck-thru , natural wanut and maple body , gold hardware , ebony fingerboard and made in the US in New York all for under $300...Now that's nice!!

Bill Z Bass

[ December 03, 2002, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

alrightie, here goes:
          I started with an Ibanez EX bass. Nice beginner bass. At some point, I threw a Duncan 1/4 pounder in it and it got an awesome punchy sound.
          Combined it with a SansAmp Bassdriver and got a really good sound.

Found a Hamer USA Scarab bass in a MGR. $200 with case, couldn't pass that up. Stock pups, bridge etc. JEEEZUS! It kicked the crap out of the Ibanez(hotrodded or not) tone-wise, and was beautifully put together. Fretwork was great, was incredibly playable, and just PUNCHED through the mix.

Finally, I wanted a 5-string. Couldn't find ANY with a decent B-string until the Pedulla MVP. That was awesome. The sound? Beautiful, sounded like a piano. BUT I wasn't gonna drop $2400 on it for a used one. Saw my Warwick Standard on blowout pricing of $499..that's right, $499. I figured, if the B String sucked, back it would go. The B turned out to be nice and tight, not AS nice as the Pedulla, but playable. The sound is more mellow than my Hamer, less punchy, but it has a more rounded tone. Our drummer(who's actually a studio guitarist and voilinist) loves the sound of this bass straight into my SWR Electric Blue head. Clean, crisp, deep.

This is a $1000 bass. It is NOT as good as that Pedulla, no way, now how. Was I willing to drop the money on the Pedulla? nope. So, this is good, and gets me "close enough" for the time being. My Hamer was over $1000 new, and it KILLS any $600 bass out there right now. Even with it's oversized case, this is the base I've dragged out to play at our performances.

Ultimately though, buy what works for you. If you get it out of a $500 bass, sweet! Under $300? Hot damn! Go spend the extra cash somewhere else, ya know? My fretless is a total hunk o' crap Kay, but some luthier work, a new pup and bridge, and now I have the growliest fretless to ever walk the planet. And it was FREE to me(before all the work). After mods? About $300...whatever works for ya!

Comment

I've played a LOT of basses at various stores and I'll point out some of my favs right here-

Alembics-as far as looks go, these are my favorite basses. Unfortunately, also the most expensive. I absolutely LOVE the way they look, and my ultimate dream bass is a Series II electronics equipped Europa. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Ken Smith-Played a top of the line one once and it was quite good. Didn't care for the looks as much, but the neck was a good one. VERY nice neck.

Modulus-I really like these basses for the buck. Sure they aint cheap but they aren't in Alembic range. I love the way they look and feel, and the graphite necks look hella cool [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Warwick-I LOVE THE THUMB BASS...one of my top 3. The neck, the way it played, the warmth, oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] instant orgasm

Music Man-My other fav guitar company next to Jackson happens to be one of my fav bass companies. The Stingray.....aaaaaaaaahhhhh

Sadowsky-Never played one but DAYUM!

Well, those are my measly opinions.

Comment

Now your talkin basses my freind...Your speaking MY language!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Heres what I owned:

Alembic 1974 Exploiter ...Looks like John Entwistle's bass(Belong to Eric Carmen , No not Cartman [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Warwick Thumb bass ...awesome!!

Ken Smith Burner series ...see thru red...The easiest bass to play ever.

G & L L2000.....I can't praise these basses enough , they have the hottest pickups in the world and sound INCREDIBLE!!!!

Music Man Stingray 4 string with a pretty maple top but had a graphite neck not very balance and heavy

Kubicki X Factor ...very deep and punchy , I saw Stu Hamm playing these damn things and bought one . Sturdiest wood necks on the planet (32) laminations...or something crazy [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Rick 4002 Natural ...I'ts OK and didn't keep it long

How can I forget my black MVP Pedulla..Nice

Basses that I check out and was totally cool :

Viger / Modulus / Zion / Sadowsky P bass ...Looks like a P bass but felt and sounded like my Smith ..very nice!!

Well I might be buying one of these basses soon ....probably my all time favorite G & L ...but I might get a five string this time 'round...I'm feelin' saucy [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Rock on

Thumpaholics..

Bill Z Bass

[ December 03, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
              X