1987 Charvel 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Charvel 3B

I saw this well worn 87 3B at a peddlers mall in it's hard case sitting there marked $129.99 & it was calling me even though I just passed it on bye & left..
    A couple of days later I came back & sprang the old girl from the clutches of certain doom & despair & took her home for some love that she hadn't had since she was the main bass for a christian rock band many years ago..
    Needed a stereo output jack as the factory plastic preamp unit had gotten brittle & cracked into three pieces, I stopped & got a switchcraft one at my local guitar guru shop & went to GC & got a $21 set of RotoSound .045"-.105" flatwounds..
    Started by masking the frets off & polishing them up with nevr-dull & mothers & then gave the super dry rosewood a wipedown of lemon oil & polished the body neck etc. up with some gibson guitar polish, then soldered the output jack in & heat shrink tubed all the connections & installed a fresh duracell 9 volt the preamp came alive as it factory should have..
    The pickups have been changed to EMG Selects, I added some sponge under the P pickups to raise them up about 3/8" as they were really low & lacked any real thump but the J pickups have lots of treble & sounded fine..
    I'm still working on the action currently & have it a bit too low with just a bit of relief & will raise it just a hair before I get it intonated perfectly..
    Here's a few crappy pics of it after I was plucking the crap out of it.. My first Neck Thru Bass & I've had way too many over the last 35+ years..
    1987 Charvel 3B Cobalt Blue

Sweet grab and a good price to boot. Enjoy.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Thanks CFH..
      I'll get around to the full setup this weekend & maybe this will also get me motivated to get my DK2M project finished..

Comment

I'll go ahead and call dibbs on it if you ever decide to get rid of it. Drop me a message if you do.

Comment

amimbari told be last week he'd buy it + some & wondered why I hadn't went back to pick it up, It snowed a foot that night here BTW..
          He told me the EMGs & the case were worth $130..
          Now with the P pickups adjusted properly it'll now peel paint off the walls with the bass boost cranked..
          I think I'll be keeping it...

Comment

The offer will stand if you ever change your mind.

Comment

oh wow i never knew it had emg "selects" in there...not the ones I thought, but still way-too-cheap-to-pass-up !
              http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Very nice!!!
                I like black and white guitars

Comment

It's a great bass for the money & came with a hard case & I just couldn't go wrong it..
                  I need to put the rear cover back on but want to spray out the controls with deoxit first..
                  Here's a rear shot in the cubby along with the PRS CE22 & Silvertone lapsteel, also note the Jackson gigbag, It came from the peddlers mall too = $13, My DK2M will use it when the time comes to transport it around..

Comment

Finally got the Charvel 3B finished up today while it was raining..
                    Was trying to get it's action as close as possible to my Ibanez SR300 both with Flat wounds & a few last things on the PRS CE-22 as well..
                    The Ibanez has a thinner faster neck but the sustain of the neck thru 3B is superior & the PRS is just one Bad @$$ Guitar..

Comment

Working...
                    X