BC Rich...whats your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich...whats your opinion?

Allright I do not play the bass and of course I ain't an expert when it comes to basses, I just want to see what you guys believe about BC Rich basses.The fact is that I've heard from the local guys who play the bass that these are weak basses and they do not sound that good ......I personally know that they say a lot of bollocks cause many of them don't care about music and they just repeat words someone said in order to look as if they know something.Concider that the only guy who really cares about music,I mean he is dying for it,told me that he isn't a big fan of the sound cause he listens to jazz, blues and other same stuff(there aren't a lot of headbangers at where I live).

So what do you think?Sure for one thing...the WIDOW has some style on it

I had a Warlock bass and it sucked but not because it was a Rich, it sucked because it was a sucky model. I have always bought Riches but eventually get rid of them because I dont like the necks. Its not because they arent good guitars, its a feel thingamabob. They make damn fine guitars. Currently I own a Custom shop Beast guitar, and it is fucking spectacular and evil. But again, the neck just doesnt feel right. So if you are a player that can adjust well to any neck, go for it, they make great guitars and basses..........

Comment

Never have played the basses for any length of time, but have a 2000 NJ Neck thru Mockingbird that just oozes bad ass. I love the growl it has, and it cleans up nicely. Build quality out of Korea is very good. I can find no issues with fit/function/finish. Here is a thread explaining differences in Series/models and issues with each and some personal experiences: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/119...hlight=BC+Rich

Many thanks again to Corpsegrinder for an awesome trade.

Comment

Don't know BC Rich basses, but I think their USA made guitars might have been better than Jacksons. I say this because the ST-III I have has a 1 piece quarter sawn neck - no scarf join. It sounds great too. But it's my only BCR.

Comment

Scarf joint was basically done to reduce wood waste. 1 piece necks waste a lot of wood, especially if you have a tilted headstock.

BC Rich used to make great stuff. It used to be a back/fourth battle in the 80's. Jackson won.

I've never played their basses, but both Jackson and BC Rich basses are far to big for me and they usually weigh a ton. I'd rather have a standard P-bass. There was a specific model of Ibanez that I liked too.

Once I played the Warwick Thumb bass, I was sold for life and custom ordered one. Small body, perfect neck, absolutely amazing tone. I've yet to play anything else that I like.

EDIT: That *bold* was a lie. My back then best friend (early 80's) had a Warlock bass. It was uncomfortable and heavy. I have played a few different Jackson basses, and I didn't like any of them. I don't like the Charvel basses either.
          Last edited by xenophobe; 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

i had a mockingbird and warlock basses in the 80's. they look awesome, sound great and played good(sitting!) but i hated them! they were N J Series, the mockingbird was neck thru but both wore my arm out trying to hold the damn neck up! let go of the neck and bam the headstock races to the floor lol
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

oh Rob, if you thought those were heavy you should have tried to hold a MOSER custom for 4 hours a show
              and I never had a BCR anything but many people on TB own them....always a mixed bag of nuts, some like em some don't. The P-P config was certainly different sounding than a P-J blended.
              The only P-P config I have left is an old 80's TAKamine that must have been styled to be for metal poser band use as well like the BCR's. All mahogany, setneck very heavy and sounds nothing like my Charvels.
              ( too bad it's not a lefty )
              http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

thank you guys for your opinions and experiences ,love bc rich's style when I'll get the chance I'm gonna try some of their guitars or basses.I also have in mind to go with a Bich custom shop one day.great body shape.....

Comment

im not a bass player but have a few BCR's, the older NJ neck thru's are one of the best bang for the buck guitars. think model 5/6 charvels. the handmades IMO are great, but there was a time when they were a little inconsistent. Mockingbirds are neck heavy guitars, as a bass who knows. I did have a 79 eagle bass, and it was really nice sounded great & the eagle shape is comfy and doesnt scream METAL. i don't think the bich shape looks right as a bass.

I like BCRichs
                  Last edited by j2379; 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                    im not a bass player but have a few BCR's, the older NJ neck thru's are one of the best bang for the buck guitars. think model 5/6 charvels. the handmades IMO are great, but there was a time when they were a little inconsistent. Mockingbirds are neck heavy guitars, as a bass who knows. I did have a 79 eagle bass, and it was really nice sounded great & the eagle shape is comfy and doesnt scream METAL. i don't think the bich shape looks right as a bass.

I like BCRichs
                    Oooh, those are pretty. I had a custom Warlock WHS Catalog guitar, I think the model was... I loved how it sounded, I just could not get comfortable with it at all. It didn't sit right, the body was uncomfortable... but it was an amazing guitar, I just couldn't get physically comfortable with it. Played amazing. I do like how the Eagles sit. And I loved the ST-III's back in the day. A friend had a really early Stealth with the vintage headstock. It was a black one-hum stop tail. That thing played ridiculously well.

Comment

I sold this one a while back USA ST III bass.
                      Really well made bass exceptional rosewood board.
                      The frets had been taken out when I got it so I did a re fret on it.
                      It thundered better than any bass I ever had.DiMarzio pick ups too
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I always wanted to try an Ironbird bass, but Geezer was the only one I ever saw use one. Saw plenty of Ironbird guitars, though. Didn't care for it as I thought the body was better suited to the bass.

And most "shaped" basses (Explorer-types, Warrior, Warlock, etc) will be neck-heavy (though I'd love to try a Warrior bass) simply because of the shape, and the bodies aren't generally up-sized from the guitar version enough to maintain the proportions that make the guitar balance so well. Then again, for that to happen, the bass body would have to be twice as big as the guitar body, and that just looks wrong.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thats very cool and a rare bird, dont see many ST-3 basses, and with graphics. BCR fret boards arent compound radius but they are pretty flat, makes them really easy to set up with an even low action and not fret out. BTW the electronics for the basses work better than guitars, at least IMO.

Comment

Mine was cool because it had a blend control one 3 way and one in/out phase switch.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I sold this one a while back USA ST III bass.
                              Really well made bass exceptional rosewood board.
                              The frets had been taken out when I got it so I did a re fret on it.
                              It thundered better than any bass I ever had.DiMarzio pick ups too
                              Oh woah. I had an ST-3 bass. I bought it after I sold my Charvel bass, because I didn't like it. I sold the ST-3 bass shortly after and bought an Ibanez that was much nicer.

Can't believe I forgot that.

Comment

Working...
                              X