NGD (and a question about replacement tuners) JS3V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (and a question about replacement tuners) JS3V

I received my new quicksilver JS3V 5-string bass recently and really dig it. I had a couple EMG 40DC pickups installed and it really sounds and plays great. I'm impressed for the cost. Then again, I'm also pretty impressed with the new Indian-made KVXT guitars I grabbed recently. So the qualify of these guitars seem to be going up!

In any event, while I love the bass, I'd like to replace the stock tuners. Stew Mac sells a set of Gotoh tuners that look like they might do the trick, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what size tuners will work. If you have any idea, let me know. Is it safe to order these? Let me know! I wanna get these. Whaddaya think?

- Adam

Great Looking Bass you have there..
    I can't help you on the tuners as I have no idea what there using nowdays or what size the peghead holes are.. I saw Stew-Mac says there's are 9/16" & I'd bet the OE are metric BUT might be close??
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/B...Tuner_Set.html

Comment

Cool I just ordered them from Stew Mac. Will post the results when they arrive! Thanks for the tip!
      - Adam

Comment

Good Luck with those tuners & please let us know what part # you bought & how they worked out for you..
        9/16" = 0.5625" = 14.2875mm JFYI
        These look just like the tuners on my 1986 Charvel 2B Bass except they have a screw mount on the backside..
        Last edited by WRC; 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I picked up soem of the individual tuners (since its a 5-string bass) from here:
          http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/B...ass_Tuner.html

The model I got was 0896-LB (Black, left side). Keep in mind they way they describe it is a little weird. Usually you'd think a set of tuners for a right handed guitar would be RIGHT. But at Stew Mac they're the left sided ones. Just a heads up.

The main page for these tuners are here (in sets of 4 and singles like I got):
          http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/B...ss_Tuners.html

Ok so here's the verdict: THEY WORKED.
          The fit was a bit tight but no modification had to be done. Even the screws on the back of the headstock lined up perfectly. So I'd feel confident to say these make a decent replacement set for the JS3V 5-string bass. THat and the EMG 40DC active pickups I put into it made it into a pretty cool bass IMO. In any event if you're looking to replace the tuners on these basses the Gotoh minis work just fine

PS - Then tuner key part (the one you grab to tune it up/down) is a hair larger than the stock ones but they aren't a problem. THere's still plenty of spacing between them to work great!
          Last edited by adoxtater; 12-17-2011, 05:23 AM.
          - Adam

Comment

Why did you replace the stock ones ? Was thinking about getting a hipshot on one of my JS3's for drop C /DGCF tuning but IMO the stock tuners work just finei

Comment

I wanted to replace them because usually the cheaper Jackson's seem to have tuning issues due to cheap tuners. So I figured what the hell They are a slightly tighter fit but they work great so I can't complain. That and the EMG upgrades and it's a solid bass!
              - Adam

Comment

When you changed your pups, did you have to completely change you pre amp as well, or simply just swapped they pick ups? I'm new to modding basses.

Comment

I had it done for me so not too sure of the specifics BUT I don't think it has a preamp any longer. I think that was removed. With the new pickups though I'm getting a pretty decent tone recording thru a GK 400RB direct into the console. That surprised me since it's direct but it sounds great!

Im not a bass player really. I use it to write/record mostly. So forgive me if some of my bass knowledge is a little sketchy
                  - Adam

Comment

Hi, I would like to know, what case do you use on that bass and if the headstock doesn't get pressure when resting or close, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X