I don't know much about basses, and I know you guys do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know much about basses, and I know you guys do

Is $70 for a Mako P-bass copy a good deal?

What makes a good bass (for metal)?

I bought a Series 10 bass a while ago, and the rear pickup (not the P pickups) doesn't work. This is a double wide Jazz style. Is this worth fixing?

Sorry for the questions, but I still don't know shit about bass.

Thanks,

Don

Not up on my Makos, sorry. I don't think it was a Matsumoku brand.

The Series 10 stuff wasn't that great either. Fender MIM stuff is better by a mile.

What makes a good bass for Metal depends on what Metal you're playing, and how good you are at playing bass. Steve Harris does just fine with a P-Bass, Ian Hill lays it down thick with a Jazz bass, Newstead does a good job with EMGs.

I would suggest a bolt-on bass though. Neckthrough basses have a more mellow tone, and you'd want the snappier response of a bolt-on neck if you're playing in a detuned or otherwise heavy-toned band.

The jazz pickup you have is probably just shorted. Check the wiring and or the switch/blend pot/whatever you got.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Not up on my Makos, sorry. I don't think it was a Matsumoku brand.

The Series 10 stuff wasn't that great either. Fender MIM stuff is better by a mile.

What makes a good bass for Metal depends on what Metal you're playing, and how good you are at playing bass. Steve Harris does just fine with a P-Bass, Ian Hill lays it down thick with a Jazz bass, Newstead does a good job with EMGs.

I would suggest a bolt-on bass though. Neckthrough basses have a more mellow tone, and you'd want the snappier response of a bolt-on neck if you're playing in a detuned or otherwise heavy-toned band.

The jazz pickup you have is probably just shorted. Check the wiring and or the switch/blend pot/whatever you got.
      Matt,

You should know me better

I want to play MAIDEN

Yeah, the Series 10 is plywood, but it plywood good for a bass? Is plywood good for anything? The neck is painted so I can't see the neckwood. Rosewood fretboard (which someone took a sharpie to or something coloring it black).

I'm afraid the jazz style pickup is open. I wish it was shorted - might be easier to fix.

I just don't see this style of "double wide Jazz" on any other basses, so finding a replacement pickup is going to be fun, if even worth the trouble.

Thing is, I don't know a great sounding bass from a POS bass. Not sure what to listen for. I guess I can go back and listen to some more Maiden and try and figure it out.

Comment

If the Mako feels good, then it's worth it.

Comment

a 70 dollar bass is the right step towards getting a true 90's black metal sound aka -144db in the mix sound
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I had a bunch of Series10 units, all plywood except for my Eclipse Pro, which was Alder. Did I like any of them? for the cheapness, Yes. For the ease of playability?, YES. For the heaviness thanks to the plywood plank?..NO. I wouldn't rush out and buy one if the price was more than 100 bucks, but for what they "were" to the masses 20 years ago, they sold a TON of units.
            http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Working...
            X