KE3 or XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE3 or XL?

Looking at 2 Kelly's and interested in opinions on which. One is a '96/'97 blueburst quilt KE3 like the one in the other post but cheaper. The other is a dark blue XL with a JB in the bridge for just a bit more. Both say professional on the headstock. Both with cases. Both in about the same condition. I like the bound neck and JB on the XL. I'm leaning towards the XL. Pups are not an issue as I have a 81/85 set I'd probably put in (may keep the JB though). Really what I want to know is mostly I've heard that the "import quality order" (for lack of a better term) is Std-XL-KE3-and Pro being the best. I don't want a std so above that, what makes each better. All MIJ, and same woods, right?
    Last edited by warlok; 04-08-2009, 03:23 AM.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Get the XL.

Comment

+1

+1

I have found the XLs to be of higher quality...

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Get the XL.

Comment

+3
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

+4
          Scott

Comment

OK.. OK... I got it.. XL!! No, really I got it tonight. WooHoo!!! Holy shit is this neck thin and fast!! Best feeling neck out of all my guitars. Definitely thinner than my DKMG. And everything I read shows it's rosewood but it is a really tight grain and dark like ebony. Excellent neck and fingerboard. Hardly any fretwear. JB sounds amazing. Got a big chip off the top back point but other than that nice. Purple but really dark... not my first choice but looks good to me. I'm stoked!!

Comment

I had a Kelly XL a long time ago, very quality, even though the KE3 was/is made in the same factory the XL just feels more...substantial.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

good choice!

Comment

I can't put it down!!! I got it in more lights and it's actually a kinda chamelion purple that looks greenish blue at different angles. Any pic I take looks blue though. And I don't know if the inlays are real pearl but they are very very... um.... pearly.... I want to get a Duncan Jazz for the neck too. Here's a pic:
                  http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...9/100_0592.jpg

Comment

Just looking through the gallery and the one Spivonious has posted looks exactly like it. Even looks like the same big chunk missing from the top rear point.... Same guitar?

Comment

XL:idea:

Comment

Oh yeah, the XLs have nice binding too.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                          Just looking through the gallery and the one Spivonious has posted looks exactly like it. Even looks like the same big chunk missing from the top rear point.... Same guitar?
                          Actually, other than the neck binding, my KE3 also looks very similar to this - right down to the purplish paint which looks blue in photos AND the big chip out of the rear point! Pretty common amongst Kelly's I expect.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The XL looks fucking incredible. Great buy!
                            Guitars:
                            Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
                            Ibanez S520EX
                            Jackson DK2M

Comment

It's not mine. I sold mine to Mark and he painted it white with black bevels. He made a thread about it.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X