Frustrating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating...

I get so frustrated when I go look around at craiglist/ebay ads and guitar center product reviews and see every single person say, "this neck is extremely fast and really thin...." when I know that it is not the case. The fastest/slimmest neck I have played is an Ibanez Wizard II. My Jackson dk2 is slim but not quite as slim as that. I had a Schecter Damien FR and that neck was okay, its about the same as my Ibanez Destroyer. My PRS has a rounded profile much like the Gibson/Epiphone necks, as well as my strat. I just hate people saying that when I know it is completely deceptive. Am I alone on this one?
    2007 Jackson Dk2-Eerie Dess
    2006 PRS Tremonti SE
    2001 Ibanez Millenium Destroyer
    1970 Stratocaster Replica

Yep, you are alone in that.
    1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    Jackson SLATQH
    Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
    Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
    Jackson DKMGT (project)
    Kramer Focus 1000
    Ibanez SDGR Bass
    Ovation Celebrity
    Martin Backpacker

Comment

You're alone. Thin doesn't mean a neck is "fast". Learning to play fast is a technique that's in your hands and needs to be learned. A thicker neck will also keep your hand from cramping up.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        You're alone. Thin doesn't mean a neck is "fast". Learning to play fast is a technique that's in your hands and needs to be learned. A thicker neck will also keep your hand from cramping up.

I have to semi disagree... I know thae playing fast is a learned thing... but I can play faster on my KV2 than I can on my other guitars. I know it isnt a mental thing because I recorded myself (dork, I know).... The neck certainly makes a difference.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

As far as what you consider to be a fast neck, is a personal preference. You are not using a wide variety of guitars to compare your Ibby to. If you think of thin as fast, then a PS4 or a JDR-94 and some other Performer series guitars have thinner necks than Ibby Wizards. If you think that your Ibby neck is the shiznit, there is a site called Gemsite that you could troll amongst. LOL.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I'm with you in that I hate most Craigslist ads...it's like they were written by foreign retards
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What kills me about people(J/C owners) who say they hate Ibanez because the wizard II neck is so thin, they should check the stats. The dk2, 2005 charvel san dimas's and wizard II necks are all .810 at the 12 fret.

Comment

My Ibanez neck doesn't "feel" as thin/fast as my Dinky Professional but as people have said everybody has a different opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  What kills me about people(J/C owners) who say they hate Ibanez because the wizard II neck is so thin, they should check the stats. The dk2, 2005 charvel san dimas's and wizard II necks are all .810 at the 12 fret.
                  LOL The Wizard II necks are actually thicker than the regular Wizard necks.
                  And the old Dinky necks are thin, but I still don't think they're as thin as the Wizard.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I completely ignore opinions in CL and Bay ads. Why even bother reading those. Of course they're gonna say it's the greatest guitar ever. Not sure why they bother you. To me a deceptive ad says, Nick free, neck straight, pots clean....when they're not. That's annoying!
                    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I get a laugh at how many of them say "just had a pro setup". Who carts a guitar in to a shop, pays for a pro setup, and then immediately lists it for sale? Not likely.
                      "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion."

Comment

Originally posted by ef_in_fla View Post
                        I get a laugh at how many of them say "just had a pro setup". Who carts a guitar in to a shop, pays for a pro setup, and then immediately lists it for sale? Not likely.
                        "Just had" usually means 2 years ago in ebay-craigslist language. What pro sets up a guitar and leaves 2 inches of dust on the thing.

Comment

I'm pretty jaded about Craigslist listings. Unless, of course, I read the three magic words "Plays Like Buttah"...then I'm instantly sold!!

Comment

don't know what it's like for you guys in the States, but it's remarkable how many people over here are selling gear only because they are about to move overseas. I think half of Australian eBay is leaving the country!

And then there are the poor guys who are selling only because the wife has given them an ultimatum. "Wife has said some of it has to go which is the only reason I'm selling the BEST GUITAR I'VE EVER PLAYED". Why must people always sell their best guitars? Poor buggers
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Thinnest Jackson neck I've played is on a JTX Standard. I'll have to measure it when I find my calipers, but IIRC the 3rd fret was like .5xx" or something?
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X