OFR's on import Jackson's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR's on import Jackson's

I keep seeing Official Floyds being put on lower and lower end import guitars. When I see a guitar with a real floyd, it attracts me more as a buyer than seeing a licensed under patent. OFR's on their lower end guitarsWhy doesn't Jackson get with the trend and offer OFR's on their Import guitars as well?

BCR Gunslinger Retro-

BCR Ironbird-

ESP LTD- GL200MD

Actually, they have switched to OFRs on some of the imports now. But of course, there is a catch, and in this case it's that a lot of the "Original" Floyds (maybe all of them?) are now being produced in China. That's probably a major factor in why you're seeing them on cheaper guitars.
    sigpic

Comment

They are Chinese or Korean... they are not the Schaller built Floyds from Germany.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
        I keep seeing Official Floyds being put on lower and lower end import guitars. When I see a guitar with a real floyd, it attracts me more as a buyer than seeing a licensed under patent. OFR's on their lower end guitarsWhy doesn't Jackson get with the trend and offer OFR's on their Import guitars as well?
        Because these other companies know you are a sucker for an OFR even if it's made from potmetal in China.

They know you aren't smart enough to research the facts and you end up with an "OFR" that doen't last or stay in tune as well as a real OFR.

Comment

Of course, has anyone proven the Korean/Chinese OFRs are that bad? I know the licensed versions suck, and I know China can build stuff right if they're allowed to or pushed to do so.

However, the bigger issue you're missing here is that all of those other imports are simply inferior in overall quality to import Jacksons. Jackson uses better woods than they do, and has better quality control. I've seen more complaints about USA-made Jacksons - including expensive Custom Shop models - than I have about imports other than the easily-replaceable hardware and electronics.

I have not seen anyone say they got an import Jackson with a warped neck, substandard fretjob, or any of the other issues I've seen folks here have with their $3000+ Customs.

Those other imports sucker you in with one thing about them that's "better" - like massive MOP/Abalone appointments that have zero effect on tone - or a real Floyd Rose, and then stick you with low-quality bodies and substandard workmanship and call it competition for Jackson.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

One other factor is that the parent company of BC Rich also owns Floyd Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I've seen more complaints about USA-made Jacksons - including expensive Custom Shop models - than I have about imports other than the easily-replaceable hardware and electronics.
              Possibly buyers of USA stuff expect a lot more than buyers of imports, pay more, and are more apt to complain. Import buyers know they aren't getting all that for the dough, so they deal with it and relate it price. And of course, there's probably a different market for each type with varying amounts of expertise.

HOWEVER....

That said, my Japanese 475 that I bought almost new for $200, has much better fretwork, binding, attention to detail and general fitment than my USA Graphic Fusion I bought new for 1300 bucks. Both are approaching 18 years old and the binding is falling off the USA, haha, and it's had many issues I have to fix. Sadly, I've always felt ripped off on that guitar, although I love how it plays.

Comment

True, John, but with so many people that also compare them to Ibenhad or ESPee, I've still seen fewer complaints about Jackson's imports.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Gotchya. I've played some nice ones myself. And, my 475 is the shit for what I paid.

I'm in the quest for a good floyd right now. Looks like a Gotoh will be the ticket to me. I can get one for 125 shipped. And 6 schaller saddles to fix my floyd up is 90 bucks.

The Steel Gotoh is much nicer than the potmetal schaller I have. And new schallers are crappier I see, per John Suhr guitars who have went to Gotoh now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    Gotchya. I've played some nice ones myself. And, my 475 is the shit for what I paid.

I'm in the quest for a good floyd right now. Looks like a Gotoh will be the ticket to me. I can get one for 125 shipped. And 6 schaller saddles to fix my floyd up is 90 bucks.

The Steel Gotoh is much nicer than the potmetal schaller I have. And new schallers are crappier I see, per John Suhr guitars who have went to Gotoh now.
                    The Gotoh Floyds are awesome. I'd say they're definitely on par with with the OFR. The locking studs are a nice touch as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X