New member, new Jackson RR 3 and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, new Jackson RR 3 and questions

Hello all... glad to join the forum. I picked up a new crimson swirl RR3 and the monster-sized Jackson case this week after looking a guitar to use for a few songs my band does live where I need a Floyd. The neck on this particular one (played quite a few) is phenominal... really as good as some $2K Jacksons and Charvels I have played. It's fretwork is perfect and the fingerboard edges almost feel rolled. It really stood out over a lot of guitars, and it has a nice, dark board that's tight grained. So, I have a few questions being that I am primarily a Gibson guy:

1. Is the crimson swirl finish a laminate like the trans flame maple ones?

2. Is there a way to re-wire it to make it not muddy up when I roll the volume down? I have my LP's wired 50's wiring style, which causes it to not have treble roll off when you turn the volume knobs down. Seems I could do similar with the Rhoads. I noticed the pots are 500K. Pretty decent or no?

3. I am a huge OFR fan. Will a OFR drop right into a Jackson Pro without major mods?

Man, after playing my CS Les Pauls for years, it's taking some time to get used to the V standing. But I sure do like the higher fret access and Duncans!

Hello Les, and welcome! That is a cool finish all right. I can't answer all your questions but # 1 - I don't think it's a laminate...it's er, a paint job...maybe I don't get the question

As the resident photo & grammar snob I gotta say: Let's get the whole guitar in the shot (and watch those apostrophes!)
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Welcome nice axe, makes me want one LOL!

Comment

1) The trans finishes use a laminate of flame maple with a transparent finish on top of that, but the swirls are just a paintjob. There's no need for the wood to be visible, therefore there's no need for a fancy wood top.

2) I'm sure that if it's possible on a Les Paul, it should be possible on an RR too.

3) Yes, as far as I know an OFR will fit. I've never done it myself but I think a lot of people have. One thing to bear in mind is that the licensed Floyd that Jackson use is based on the low profile Floyd, and therefore it has shorter locking bolts than the OFR. From what I've seen an OFR will usually fit, as the route tends to be just big enough to accomodate the longer locking bolts.
        I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Thanks all. As far as my question about the finish being a laminate, I was just wondering, at the RR3's pricepoint, that it would be easier to apply a swirly laminate and shoot poly over it as compared to doing a more complex paint job. So, that's cool that it is "real", LOL. I found out last night that it will not fit in my guitar stand (Gator tweed fold up case) I use at gigs. Last thing I want to do is prop that thing up against the wall... like you can prop them up, haha.
          I had 9's on it, but felt to slinky, and the 10's made it come to like and massively improved the sustain, which was the only gripe I had of the axe.
          Last edited by les strat; 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X