What does your SLSMG weigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your SLSMG weigh?

Well, I finally got my SLSMG yesterday. The main reason I bought it was because the guitar is called "super light." My PRS is 8lbs and it has been messing with my back so I spent a month researching lightweight guitars. I narrowed in on the SLSMG, which had all the features I wanted and was called super light. My new guitar weighs 7.5lbs - seriously WTF?

Unfortunately, where I live (Albuquerque, NM) there is a crappy selection in local shops - especially if you have ruled out Gibson and Fender, so I had to buy it sight unseen. I was going to get an RGA121, but it was 7lbs and I wanted it to be even lighter. I assumed that "super light" meant 6lbs or less - big mistake.

So now I am wondering if I should put this back on the bay to get an RGA instead. Maybe I am just unlucky and managed to get a heavy one, so I am wondering how much yours weighs? Help.

I've got a guitar for you, if you had the spare coin. An Epiphone Les Paul ES. Extremely rare. Its a Les paul, but its truly hollow, like an ES 335 or whatever. Has F holes, but has a center block for stability/feedback control. Doesnt help in the feedback department, so its gotta go. But I swear it was under the 5 lbs mark easily. In Fact I think it weighs less while in it's case, than my solid Les paul, or even my Rhoads.

Anyways, on topic, Yeah SLSMG is a light guitar, compared to alot of others, being that its all carved up with contours, like my ESP MH series, and I picked one up, and it is fairly light, lighter than a flat top guitar of the same design, such as an ESP M series, or a Dinky, if they made a neckthru flat top.
    www.myspace.com/memnochband
    www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

BTW, if you wanted a super super light guitar like that, you would want an Ibeenhad, S series, like Herman Ri from RagonForce. Those guitars look they come out of a standard photocopier.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'd just go and buy an older (back when they used lightweight mahogany) SG, but I Tune to C and wanted the 25.5 scale length.

The only decent non-trem (a huge requirement for me and one that is damn hard to fit in with the rest of my reqs.) Ibanez I have found is the RGA series and it looks like I might have to try that route next.

Comment

I've tried several SLSMGs at a local guitar shop and the heaviest one of them weighed about twice as much as the lightest one. It happens, different pieces of wood...
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
            I've tried several SLSMGs at a local guitar shop and the heaviest one of them weighed about twice as much as the lightest one. It happens, different pieces of wood...
            Yeah, that's why I wanted to see what other SLSMGs weigh - maybe I'll have to sell it and buy another. I just wish I could have gone into a shop with ONE SLSMG.

Comment

My SLSMG is about 7.25 pounds, my SLS3 is roughly 6.25. I've had two S7320s, one was for an endorsee, and they were both about 7.5

Comment

Mine weighs in at a hefty 6lbs 3oz.

Most people who pick it up are shocked at how light it is. I love mine, Id really like a new SLS3, just wish they had a floyd!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

An SLSMG feels heavy to you? Seriously dude, something else is wrong. It was one of the lightest guitars I had ever owned. Although, I think my DK2T weighs even less. I tried to pick up a PRS at GC and boy those are heavy! SLSMG's are not heavy at all.

Have you tried other things like getting a fatter leather strap, playing positions, comfortable shoes, etc. ? I have a bad back and ever since my darling wife bought me a nice wide leather strap, my back problems are almost non-existent.
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    An SLSMG feels heavy to you? Seriously dude, something else is wrong. It was one of the lightest guitars I had ever owned. Although, I think my DK2T weighs even less. I tried to pick up a PRS at GC and boy those are heavy! SLSMG's are not heavy at all.

Have you tried other things like getting a fatter leather strap, playing positions, comfortable shoes, etc. ? I have a bad back and ever since my darling wife bought me a nice wide leather strap, my back problems are almost non-existent.

Also, just be a bitch and put a stool on the stage, i know once im older im gunna sitdown even to play live, unless I get another hollow body, but I highly doubt that will happen, I hate them for the immense feedback they give off.

Comment

if you're after something superlight, have you checked out the Yamaha RGX A2?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        if you're after something superlight, have you checked out the Yamaha RGX A2?
                        uh...not a good choice Gary. Its light, but so is its tone. the SLSMG's tone is very beefy. Too bad mine had QC issues and so I had to sell it.
                        Sam

Comment

really? That's disappointing. I've admittedly never plugged one in but have picked them for a noodle when I've been at the guitar store & thought they played nicely. Plus they are fly-away light.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

the fretboard seemed too rounded. I think its 12" radius or lower. But yeah, its hell lotta light. Also, the knob type pickup selector will need getting used to.
                            Sam

Comment

I have 2 SLSMGs. One is a Red Flame Top and the other is just a solid red colored one. The flame top weighs as much as my SLATQH and the solid colored one is as light as a feather. My Cabo Blue USA SLS weighed the same as Flame top. Not light.
                              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Working...
                              X