Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KE3 on the way, what more can I learn about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE3 on the way, what more can I learn about it?

I traded my LTD for this KE3 (Blue flame maple top) and it should be here early next week.

I've done research on it and found that the body is Alder, the trem is a JT580 and the shark fin inlays are plastic (MOTO). It has great reviews and while I did trade down a little value wise, I'm hoping that it won't be a big deal since I"ve wanted a Kelly for so long.

The guy says it's a Pre-Fender Kelly, is that good bad or indifferent? Do I have my facts right so far? And finally, is there anything more you Jackson geniuses can tell me about it?

I appreciate the time and help!
    ~Jairic

Saying Pre-Fender is ridiculous, because this is Made In Japan. Do you know the serial number?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I don't know the serial, I'll gladly post it as soon as it gets here. I'm extremely happy to hear that that it's Made in Japan.

Comment

I'm also concerned about the tonal qualities of Alder. If I understand right, that's what strats are made of, which is a little worrying. Will I be able to get a Lamb of God/Killswitch Engage sort of sound out of it? It's got a Bill Lawrenece 500XL in the bridge.

Comment

dont worry at all about being able to get that sound out of it. you might want to throw some emg 81 85s in it to get a little closer but let me tell you my KE3 sounds awesome. when i first got it i was into lamb of god and had no trouble at all duplicating that sound.

congrats on trading up for a great guitar.

Comment

The actual models (ke3, rr3, rr5, etc....) are made in japan too. Isn´t EVERY KE-3 made in Japan?
            RATT RULES!

Comment

as far as i know EVERY KE3 is made in japan.

Comment

Yes, every KE3 is made in Japan. You won't have a problem with alder at all, since it's the body wood through the majority of Jackson's product line. There are only a few models currently produced which are made from other woods, and as we all know, if it says Jackson on the headstock it can handle just about any style of music you want it to, metal especially.

Pre-Fender is a load of nonsense. It's become widely believed that Pre-Fender jacksons are better just because people who own them claim that they are superior when trying to sell them, hoping to get more cash. In reality there was no sudden change of quality when FMIC bought Jackson/Charvel. The only difference is where the profits go.
                I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Just curious, what LTD did you trade away? I have a 250 series MH, and it's neckthru, I dont think i'd trade it for anything less than a neckthru myself, because I've become a fiend for non bolt on guitars, not sure why, plus I Love LTDs almost as much as Japanese Jacksons.
                  www.myspace.com/memnochband
                  www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

I have a KE3 too. Although I love it, it takes some getting used to - it's just an odd shaped guitar to hold standing up.
                    Also, although I put a JB in the bridge, it doesn't sound as good as my SL3 with a JB bridge. I THINK it may be because the Kelly has no tone pot.
                    It's a great guitar though, I'm sure you'll love it.

I also have a Lawrence 500XL in the bridge of one of my Jacksons and it fucking ROCKS. It's not a Bill and Becky one, it's a Lawrence USA. I love that pickup. Someone must have put that in there, stock it would have had Duncan Designed pickups I believe. Mine did anyway.

Rene - I'm pretty sure my RR3 was made in Korea, not Japan. I assumed KE3s were too.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I traded an LTD MH400NT for it. The LTD was an amazing guitar, but the way I like to sit when I play the perfect right angle of the body where my picking arm went over, would keep blood from flowing to my hand and make my arm sore, so I traded it. I've wanted a Kelly for a long time, I remember seeing an Eerie Dess Swirl Kelly in a store a long time ago and thinking it was the greatest thing to happen to mankind.

It should be here next Monday, I won't be off of work until 5pm... Gonna be a long day!

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great.

Comment

Originally posted by jairic View Post
                        I traded an LTD MH400NT for it. The LTD was an amazing guitar, but the way I like to sit when I play the perfect right angle of the body where my picking arm went over, would keep blood from flowing to my hand and make my arm sore, so I traded it. I've wanted a Kelly for a long time, I remember seeing an Eerie Dess Swirl Kelly in a store a long time ago and thinking it was the greatest thing to happen to mankind.

It should be here next Monday, I won't be off of work until 5pm... Gonna be a long day!

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great.

That makes little to no sense, seeing as the MH is the most ergonomical guitar out there... You should ask for like 300 bucks with that kelly, seriously, I could get a bolt on kelly right now for 100 bucks, and I dont want to because I simply dont want a bolt on. The MH 400 is a fucking amazing guitar, Especially with the quality woods on it. My MH 250 only has some agathis body or some shit, and it still sounds amazing, I could just imagine the mahogany body on the MH400.
                        As much as I love jacksons, I cant lie when I say, you got ripped off.
                        www.myspace.com/memnochband
                        www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Originally posted by blackendvampire View Post
                          That makes little to no sense,
                          that jairic wasn't comfortable playing the MH? That the body shape just didn't sit right with him?

seeing as the MH is the most ergonomical guitar out there...
                          as determined by who? It has no forearm bevel - I could see how that might be less than ideal for some players.

You should ask for like 300 bucks with that kelly, seriously, I could get a bolt on kelly right now for 100 bucks, and I dont want to because I simply dont want a bolt on.
                          Really? For a KE3, like jairic has bought? Or are you talking about the entry level JS series made in India? Hardly the same guitar.

The MH 400 is a fucking amazing guitar,
                          as jairic also stated. It just wasn't the guitar for him. Get over it.
                          As much as I love jacksons, I cant lie when I say, you got ripped off.
                          You're entitled to your opinion (even if it's wrong). But you've already stated that you wouldn't trade away your neckthru MH250 for a lowly bolt-on - I would think you'd be trading up $$ wise for a KE3. jairic acknowledged in his first post that he traded down a little for the Jackson, but he's getting a guitar he's always wanted. So which guitar has a greater worth to him?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks VitaminG. The forearm bevel is a necessity for me given the way I sit/stand when I play.

The MH400 was the first guitar I'd ever had the problem with. I'm playing my brothers SG until I get the Kelly and it's much better than the MH. And you're right Blackenedvampire, the MH did sound good and for the 10 minutes at a time I could play it, I loved it. As far as the price desparity, the KE3 and the MH400NT are in the same general price range (mine was non trem) on ebay in completed listings which I researched thoroughly. The Kelly costs more new, and IMO is a better build quality coming out of Japan. I did make an attempt to sell the MH for $400, but was generally told that was too high by prospective buyers.

I'm generally just not someone who wants to squeek every last dime out of a sale/trade. If I can get something I want and still get the other party a good/fair deal then I'm going to do that. Originally the guy wanted $100 with my LTD for his KE3, but I passed on that and we agreed on a straight up trade. It cost me about $20 to ship mine, and I think it probably cost him more to ship his because it's heavier in that Jackson case in a big box, lol. So, hey I'm happy and hopefully he is too.

For some reason the guitar stores around here don't ever get the Kelly line in, except an occasional JS30KE, so this will be the first one I've played in a while and I can't wait to get it!

I love this forum, thanks again for the input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post

Rene - I'm pretty sure my RR3 was made in Korea, not Japan. I assumed KE3s were too.
                              Hold on there squeezebox, what makes you say that? What's the serial # ?
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X