Rhoads Pro Pickup suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads Pro Pickup suggestions?

I have a 3rd hand Jackson Professional Rhoads Pro. Unfortunately, the original pickups were replaced with models unknown to me. Currently, there is an unknown Gibson spaced Seymour Duncan in the bridge and an unknown model and maker in the neck position. Thanks to the pole pieces not matching up on the bridge pickup, I don't get as much bottom end or high end as I should be getting. I've been planning on giving my Jackson a pickup change after I acquire a Peavey 5150 II.

For the bridge pickup, I want something that will give a very nice metal tone while I'd like a nice clean tone from the neck pickup. I've thought about getting the EMG 81/60 combo as well as the Seymour Duncan TB4/SH2 combo. My main influences are Keep of Kalessin, Behemoth, Gorgoroth, Old Man's Child, Emperor, Children of Bodom, Wintersun, Eric Johnson, Randy Rhoads, Paul Gilbert, etc. Any suggestions?

Blackouts are suppose to be good man, I'm probably gonna try them next on one of my kellys. I got a set of Dave Mustaine Live Wires For my king V, will be getting them installed soon. I'm not an EMG fan myself but lots of people love em, they sound great on certain guitars but on my king v they sound very thin, probably the fact that the guitar weighs about 2 grams LoL. The TB 4 is a very versatile pickup imo, works well with my amp set up, have them on 3 kellys. Some Di Marzio people on here too, they might have some good advice on their pups.

Comment

+1

im picking up some blackouts for my RR3 soon. i have played them in my friends KE3 and they sound awesome!

great list by the way.

Comment

Depends on what sorta sound you wanna get. Personally, I'm going for an SH-6 as I'm a big W.A.S.P fan. Boo all ya want!
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Vittu0666 View Post
          My main influences are Keep of Kalessin, Behemoth, Gorgoroth, Old Man's Child, Emperor, Children of Bodom, Wintersun, Eric Johnson, Randy Rhoads, Paul Gilbert, etc. Any suggestions?
          Hmmmm....Out of these I've heard only Randy, and his tone was anything but bass heavy

First off, the pole spacing isn't killing you bass. It's whatever pickup you have in there. Pull them out and tell us the sticker or post a picture. It would be pretty bad if you bought a TB4 to replace a JB, because it will sound virtually the same.

Next issue - I would not do ANYTHING until the new amp comes in. You might get a bass heavy pickup that works with your current rig only to find that it's muddy in the new rig.

Finally, I'd get a Duncan Distortion if I wanted Brutal. It crushess in my 750XL through my DSL100.

Comment

if you really like COB like i do then id say go for blackouts. idk why Alexi switched back to hzs on his new guitars though. but as for the blackouts my local guitar tech had some in a dinky and what a killer sound! i like them better than emgs. plus the newer blackouts have the 2 channels that you can use a jumper wire that come with them to switch between the regular and "high output".

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Hmmmm....Out of these I've heard only Randy, and his tone was anything but bass heavy

First off, the pole spacing isn't killing you bass. It's whatever pickup you have in there. Pull them out and tell us the sticker or post a picture. It would be pretty bad if you bought a TB4 to replace a JB, because it will sound virtually the same.

Next issue - I would not do ANYTHING until the new amp comes in. You might get a bass heavy pickup that works with your current rig only to find that it's muddy in the new rig.

Finally, I'd get a Duncan Distortion if I wanted Brutal. It crushess in my 750XL through my DSL100.
              Yeah, I understand what you mean about waiting. I just left what amp I'm getting so people would have a general idea of what I'll be working with: A 5150 II and a poplar bodied Rhoads with a Maple neck and ebony board. A few months ago when I had to replace the trem, my friend took out both pickups and tried looking for a sticker stating what model it was. On both there was nothing stating what model they were.

A few other pickups I've been thinking about were a J-50BC or a J-80C for the bridge and a J-50N for the neck. Haven't thought about Blackouts or the new EMG X series either.

Comment

I have Blackouts in my 86 Model 5 and I think they are great. I like them enough that I picked up another set when Muscians Friend had them on sale for $145 for a set of two that I will be using in my project 87 Model 5. They sound great through my 5150 and Soldano cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  Depends on what sorta sound you wanna get. Personally, I'm going for an SH-6 as I'm a big W.A.S.P fan. Boo all ya want!
                  I have Blackouts in my RR3 and they're great. I certainly wouldn't be getting a JB - as much as I love the JB and have them in a couple of guitars, they're not going to be ideal for those bands you listed.
                  Either go for Blackouts or maybe the Duncan Distortion as Wilkinsi says - that would be more suitable for those bands than a JB. It'll certainly nail you the Randy Rhoads tone much better than the JB ever will.
                  However, get a TB-6, not an SH-6, if your RR3 has a tremolo (I presume it has). Same pickup just spaced for trem equipped guitars.

And a TB4 is a JB.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

does it still have the boost system?
                    i have a rhoads PRO my self, and i have a duncan dimebucker on the bridge, and jazz on the neck. eccentric indeed, heck i got a death metal tone, and a cleaner than clean tone from it XD
                    Own:
                    '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                    w/e catches my eyes ATM
                    More '90 Professionals

Comment

Blackouts ftw ive got a set in my dxmg love em. but im actually thinking of getting a set of emg's for my EX-260. also emg has come out with a new 81-x 85-x and 60-x too bad emg doesnt have any soundbites of the new pups
                      ESP ltd EX-260
                      Jackson Kx10
                      Jackson DXMG (SD Blackouts)
                      Crate GFX-212T
                      Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
                      Dunlop Crybaby from hell

Comment

DiMarzio X2N

Comment

BTW I just noticed you said you're not getting enough bass or treble because the poles on your current pickup don't line up.
                          I seriously doubt that's the case. I've had normal spaced pickups in trem equipped guitars and there is no noticeable difference.
                          You also say the current pickup is unknown - if it's a JB and you replace it with a TB-4 I reckon it's going to sound pretty much exactly the same. Waste of time all round. Take the pickup out and see what it says on the back before buying anything else.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                            DiMarzio X2N
                            +1
                            As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

Working...
                            X