No announcement yet.

WRMG Desperate PUP Recommendation!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess what i miss are the earth shattering palm mutes. They sound quite muddy and a bit empty. They aren't as heavy and clear together as i want them

Comment

I think basswood isn't going to give you a tight sound. If I were you I'd look for a guitar with an alder or poplar body and a JB.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        yep, the EQ is even and the super 2 is bright. The super distortion was my second choice. I just put one in my charvel model A. I just put a X2N in my model 6 too(but that's poplar). I have a tone zone in a basswood jackson and it's too bassy.
        I have liked the evolution in basswood also.
        The X2N I put in my old Model 5A (poplar) was a little on the bright side, but it wasn't too bad. The Super 2 I would only use as a bridge pickup in a pretty dark sounding guitar, but VitaminG has one in the bridge of one of his guitars and says it's not bad. Tone Zones are great in alder but can get a little bassy in mahogany or basswood.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by ACHIEVEPERFECTION View Post
          @toejam: Ok, about the emgs. I installed the second battery and i have to say i was amazed by the result. The cleans are soooo much better. There really is no comparison. As for the distorted sound, yes it is less compressed, more articulate, organic and warmer. So the guitar now is way better to my ears. But there is still one problem. I don't like it for metal. I can get amazing clean tones, very good hard rock tones (that's something i hadn't accomplished before) - the AB helps a bit here, as it sounds better than the bad monkey (by the way i thought the AB was really terrible - at last i think it's useable!). But for metal, i don't really like the tone. It is like it is missing some frequencies. What helped a bit was raise the mids(!) in my usual amp settings. But again, the bass is not as tight or chunky as i want it to be. Could it be the wood?
          I've never tried the EMGs with 18v, but I have heard it does give more clean headroom. I do, however, enjoy the compressed EMG tone and feel it is pretty articulate for the most part, but I've only used them in alder, poplar and mahogany guitars.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You may also want to look into a real Floyd instead of the licensed trem for the WRMG. Sometimes those are just too weak to get crushing palm mutes.

As for having different guitars that all sound different, you're going to have to play with your amp settings to adjust for each guitar's sound. If the Warrior is the only one you have of that type of shape (i.e. no other Explorers, Stars, MLs, etc) then you also have to compensate for the tonal difference of the shape itself.

A mahogany Explorer is not going to sound too similar to a mahogany Les Paul. The shape has some effect on the sound. How that relates to how the pickups translate the vibration of the string is beyond me, but it happens; My basswood WRMG sounds different than my basswood KV.

As was stated, if you prefer amp distortion over pickup distortion, go with lower-output pickups than the 81/Distortion like the Custom series (Custom 5, Custom Custom, etc) or '59.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A Change of season..

Thanks for the replies guys!

Tomorrow i am gonna fool around with the amp settings though i am afraid that it is the character of the wood i don't like. Anyway, i came with an idea.. I don't really like the cobalt blue finish (i bought it without seeing it from an online store in Germany since in Greece no one imported wrmg's - just wrxts. And for my bad luck they had a nice transparent blue on the internet instead of the cobalt i received!). From what i read and judging from the bass response of my JB loaded DK2S i lean more towards alder. So, where can i find a new, unused Transparent Black WRMG alder body? Where do they sell parts as replacements and how much would that cost?

Comment

Ebay is really the only option for a warrior body. Jackson wont sell you a body and I dont really know that anyone makes that shape custom body. Does slash at mojo make a warrior body?
                Last edited by Carbuff; 11-20-2008, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                  Ebay is really the only option for a warrior body. Jackson wont sell you a body and I dont rewally know that anyone makes that shape custom body. Does slash at mojo make a warrior body?
                  well, i've been looking for a month or so on ebay and nothing =P
                  so i decided to settle for a king V body instead...unless ACHIEVEPERFECTION is going to sell his lol.
                  Own:
                  '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                  w/e catches my eyes ATM
                  More '90 Professionals

Comment

King V's rule!
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
                    X