Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pups are you guys using in your DK2's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pups are you guys using in your DK2's?

I'm still using the JB in mine, but I usually use an '81/18v or an '85/18v.
    I'd like to swap out the JB for something else, either an active or passive, so has anyone tried a Screamin Demon, or an Evolution?
    Any recommendations?
    I'd like to hear what you guys are using/amp/type of music.
    Thanks for the ideas
    Joe
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 10-14-2008, 07:38 PM.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

sorry i dont have a dk2. but my fusion ex uses a screaming demon, i liked it at first, then my band member kinda complained abt not being brutal enough....i kinda agree w. that since it doesnt really bites.
    i play using zoom gfx 5, marshall 100dfx or a microstack, and plays metal... ranging from 80's metal - straight death metal - melodic death metal.
    Own:
    '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
    w/e catches my eyes ATM
    More '90 Professionals

Comment

Using a Duncan Distortion in the bridge with BIG smiles...I left the duncan designed in the single positions as I don't use them.

Using a Roland 15 Cube and really happy with the overall crunchy sound.
      Playing 80's metal & some classic rock stuff.

Comment

Mine has Seymour STK-1's in the mid/neck, but yeah I dont use them either. The middle one I had to screw down in further so it was out of my picking area.
        Thanks for the ideas so far, I'll chk into those.
        I had a Screamin Demon and I loved it, and i had an Evolution and a Breed and I've gotten great results, so in some respects I'm taking the 'safe' way out by leaning toward what I know as opposed to trying something new.

Never had a Custom or a C/Custom, but I've heard good things.
        Never had a Tone Zone either.

Basically I'm looking for a medium to high output humbucker (obviously).
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

EMG's or I'm highly recommending the Dimarzio Steve's Special. The sound out of that Dimarzio is sooo heavy yet has a unique sound.
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

I've just bought a DK2M and at the moment I'm quite happy with the stock JB/Jazz.
            I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
              I'm still using the JB in mine, but I usually use an '81/18v or an '85/18v.
              I'd like to swap out the JB for something else, either an active or passive, so has anyone tried a Screamin Demon, or an Evolution?
              Any recommendations?
              I'd like to hear what you guys are using/amp/type of music.
              Thanks for the ideas
              Joe
              I still have the Duncan Designed JB in mine, but it doesn't get played much. I play the crap out of my SL2H with a JB.

I remember a lot of people being happy with a Duncan Distortion in the DK2. I have a DD in my 750XL, and sometimes it is just a little too brutal, but for you that might be a good thing.

If you want something more all around, try a Custom (whatever flavor of magnet) or a Super Distortion.

I have a lot of pickups at home (Custom Custom, Full Shread, DD, Super D, ...), so I should get off my lazy ass and try some. I'd like to replace the stock singles with something humbucking as well.

Comment

DonP, I had a Full shred and I like those alot, you should try it out. My DK2 has Seymour Duncans (JB/STK-1's) not the duncan designed.
                I would like to try a Custom, and so far it's on my list. I'd like to keep it passive, cause I have 3 guitars with '81's, and 1 with an '85, so I'm kind of wanting something with a different flavor.
                Thanks for the reply.
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I'd like to replace the stock singles with something humbucking as well.
                  Yeah, if I were to buy a regular DK2, I reckon one of the first things I'd do would be to throw a hot rails in the neck. I'm not a huge single coil fan, which is one of the reasons I bought a DK2M over a DK2. That, and the maple fingerboard is sexy as hell!
                  I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Screamin Demon Hum in Bridge, Stock duncans in both singles.
                    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I'm about to pull out the JB and the two singles and put in the duncan distortion in the bridge and maybe later put in a sustainer. The middle single coil gets in the way.
                      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

When I bought my BOF DK2 used but mint off of eBay, it came with the 2 stock DD single coils and a Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge. I tried very hard to like that Demon p/u but couldn't. I replaced it with a Duncan Distortion Trembucker and I love it. I then replaced the singles with 2 GFS "hot strat" p/u's which are much louder than stock. Much happier now. Although I have toyed with the idea of replacing the neck single with a hot rails or somethng similar. As for the bridge, I have toyed with changing it to a Dimarzio Super Dist or an X2N, or even EMG's but I keep liking the Duncan Distortion more and more.

I hope this helps.
                        Guitars:
                        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                        1988 Model 2,
                        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                        RR3
                        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

Long time EMG user.. but recently swiched to duncan blackouts

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                            DonP, I had a Full shred and I like those alot, you should try it out. My DK2 has Seymour Duncans (JB/STK-1's) not the duncan designed.
                            I would like to try a Custom, and so far it's on my list. I'd like to keep it passive, cause I have 3 guitars with '81's, and 1 with an '85, so I'm kind of wanting something with a different flavor.
                            Thanks for the reply.
                            I'm sure I'll like the Full Shred, I just don't have time in the day. I work in Nashville 5 days a week (guitars are in Cinci), and the weekends are spent with the kids.

Life sucks but what can you do?

Comment

I swapped out the jb in my dk2m for a dimarzio super 3. Best move i made pickup wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X