Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVX10 vs RR3? Help Please!!!

Hi there

I live in Venezuela so you have to excuse my english.
    I used to play guitar a long time ago and sold my Charvel guitar (which I regret till the day I die). Now 10 years later I realized that I need a guitar again in order to live. I always wanted a Flying V guitar and I am struggling between the KVX10 and the RR3.
    I have a limited budget of about 900 - 950$ (maybe if I push it I can go up to 1100-1200U$ but my wife will complain...) to buy the guitar, staps, cable, guitar case/bag and maybe a small amp like a randall cube x30 or a voxAD30VT or Line 6 Spider III 30, and/or a multieffect like a Line 6 Floor Pod plus, digitech RP 350 - 500 or a zoom G21U - G7 (to plug into the pc and have fun). I really appriciate your help and advice in what gear is the best that I should buy. I never had or used multieffects before, just an Ibanez Distortion and a Boss Chorus (which I sold with my charvel...).

Many people say that the RR3 has better features, but the King V rules in my dreams. If I buy the KVX10 I plan to change the bridge pickup, maybe with a Duncan JB or a Duncan Distortion and the neck maybe with a Duncan Jazz or a Duncan '59, because a lot of people is complaining about the duncan designed. So I will appriciate any help in this matter in which pickups should I buy, which combination is the best or you recommend for the neck and bridge (passive please, no i'm not going to get the active emg's)
    I'm not planning to play live or with a band (maybe ocassionally small gigs with friends). I just want the guitar to play in my house and have fun. I like all kinds of Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Power Metal and Progressive Metal (Helloween, Persuader, Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Heavenly, Vanishing Point, Pyramaze, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Dragonland, Masterplan, etc, etc, etc). I'm a shredder kinda guy (fast solos, screaming harmonics, a lot of tapping and stuff...)
    Thanks in advance for all your time and help.

Heavy Metal is the Law!!!!

They are both relatively the same biggest difference other than the shape is the KVX has 24 frets, and the RR3 has 22 frets.

I'd go with the KVX10, get an Inferno Red one and swap the hardware out for Black, and you'd have the poor man's Big Red.
    I'm goin for this exact thing real soon. LOL
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

actually, i've owned both guitar, and i would prefer a rr3 anyday. mainly due to the fact that i'm not a big fan of flat neck (kv10x), rather, the a bit fatter U shapped neck of rr3 is a dream come true. Also, jackson RR3 is better when it comes to play while sitting down (because short tail). and for the amp, i would suggest that you buy a marshall 15 mg-dfx. and after that, i believe that you dont really need other distortion pedal and whatnot since the thing is fucking amazing.
      Own:
      '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
      w/e catches my eyes ATM
      More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
        Also, jackson RR3 is better when it comes to play while sitting down (because short tail).
        I disagree. The regular V shape is more comfortable for sitting, because it balances better, and you can have the lower wing either in front of or behind your right leg. With the RR, you usually have to keep your left leg propped up more (like Randy did), or use a strap and keep it up higher.

Both are cool, but I think the Rhoads is just a little better standing than sitting.
        And if you're going to go with the KVX10, you should also be aware that the input jack is on the lower wing, and the cable can dig into your right leg while sitting.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

oh, so thats how he sits while playing his RR model. actually i sit with both wings on the platform while having my right leg between the wings. yes, the guitar is standing up. (i'm not sure how i'm going to take a pic of it)
          Own:
          '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
          w/e catches my eyes ATM
          More '90 Professionals

Comment

I'm also dying to buy a V... How are those floyd copy on the KVX10?
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

You answered your own question. You said the KVX10 rules in your dreams. If you buy an RR3 you'll always be wishing you had a KV.
              As for pickups, for what you want you can't go wrong with a JB/'59 combo IMO. I have a Jazz in a guitar, but prefer the '59 for the neck.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
                oh, so thats how he sits while playing his RR model. actually i sit with both wings on the platform while having my right leg between the wings. yes, the guitar is standing up. (i'm not sure how i'm going to take a pic of it)
                That's an interesting way to play. I've tried that before, but I can't do it very long with the guitar in that position.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

actually, i find randy's playing style to be very interesting since i've never thought about lifting my left leg up while playing; i cannot stand very long w. this style, mainly since i dont use strap to hold my guitar, so therefore my left hand is holding the weight of the guitar and its not really playing guitar anymore lol.
                  Own:

Dreamin abt:
                  w/e catches my eyes ATM
                  More '90 Professionals

Comment

Working...
                  X