And now I'm ready for some changes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now I'm ready for some changes..

Been abusing my "new" DK2 since I got it. Not any closer to Metal God status yet, but it's fun for me!

It has the Duncan Designed S-S-H pickups, basic black with chrome hardware. I want to change out the pickups to either the Screamin Demon series or some Dimarzio Distortion for some crunch. I see this as an opportunity to change the color if I gotta take all the pickup stuff out. I sent an email over to Mike Learn's shop and was very surprised by the quote he sent me back on getting a unique snakeskin painted onto this DK2. I figured it's be thru the roof and the lil woman even agreed that we could manage this after the holidays.....hmmmm, so...

QUESTION: Does changing out the pickups and adding a custom pro paint scheme add value? I know it's all in eye/ear of the beholder, but I would think these types of changes would appeal to many. NOT that I am doing this to get it out on evil-bay now, but spending $$ on a mid grade Jackson without some type of return maybe down the line when I get much better and want to pass this one along to one of my daughters.

Opinions?
    be gentle......LOL

I dont think so. It's like putting cool wheels on a car. It really doesnt have any effect on the value. Your money would be more well spent buying a better guitar.

Comment

If it makes you happy, do it. I have a Japanese Dinky Reverse that I got from MF a few years ago for $179. I put new pickups and a Bengal paint job on it and couldn't be happier with it. BTW, check your local auto painters. Mine did my guitar for $120 and it looks as good or better than anything else out there. There are pictures of it somewhere here...
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Here's a pic...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...guitars005.jpg
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

i dont think thats such a good idea since its better if you just get a higher end jackson.
          say, a sl2h or sl3?
          Own:
          '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
          w/e catches my eyes ATM
          More '90 Professionals

Comment

It might increase the value a little, but it would be like 10-20% of what you put into it.

Comment

Just was curious...will just change out the weak ass Duncan Designed pickups. Thanks for your 2 cents~

Comment

I think doing a more substantial pickup change, like going to EMGs and adding a nice battery case would add more than just switching from one passive to another.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X