I found my new guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found my new guitar...

A Jackson RR3 Transparent Black. The thing is it's used. The owner before bought it new, didn't like it and traded it in to a local guitar shop. They are getting it shipped to them from their other location in a couple days. When I try it out what should I look for? They're giving it to me for 500 and the owner said he didn't like it so I'm thinking there might be something wrong with it.

Just because the previous owner didn't like it doesn't mean anything. The RR style guitar is hard to get used to if all you have played are LP's and Strats. I know, when I bought my RR3, I didn't really like the way it sat on my lap to play it. I was used to having nice little cutouts like on the above mentioned guitars so they sat nice on my lap. Once I got used to it and figured out the most comfortable way to play it, I discovered that I loved it! I use a strap to play it, even sitting down, and I don't even think about it anymore.

As for the guitar itself, the pickups on it depends on when it was made. The newer ones have the Duncans on it (JB & Jazz) and the older ones have the Duncan Detonators. The Detonators are decent pickups, they have a similar sound to the Duncan Distortions but not totally. I started with changing the Detonators to real Duncans (Distortion and Jazz) and it made a big difference. I have since changed again to a set of EMG's (81 & 85) and I absolutely love it now.

So......when it comes in, try it and see how it feels and if you think it's a guitar that you can connect with.....go for it!

Hope this helps.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Comment

There's a new-but-blemished one on Musician's Friend for $494 with free shipping. I think you could get the price lower.

As for what to look for, check the nut alignment, bridge alignment, overall feel of the guitar, sound quality, fretwork - what you'd normally look for when trying out a guitar.
      Scott

Comment

Cool thanks! Yeah I totally understand that the guitar is probably fine, I've played RRs before and loved em and now I'm real excited for this. I was just wondering why they'd sell it to me for 200 less than it normally even if it was used a little. They're the nicest people at the shop too... they let you play any guitar in the shop and will help you out in anyway possible.

Comment

obvious, but check for wing dings

They probably want to move it, used gear can sit around a long time taking up space if they don't price it to sell (unlike they do with vintage/real high end stuff).
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Also look at string alignment to make sure the neck isn't crooked. Look for string-bending issues, particularly around the 15th fret, to make sure there are no high or low frets.

Just about anything wrong with the tremolo or locking nut (slippage, intonation, etc) can be fixed or replaced cheaply, so focus more on the actual wood issues that can't be fixed.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
              obvious, but check for wing dings

They probably want to move it, used gear can sit around a long time taking up space if they don't price it to sell (unlike they do with vintage/real high end stuff).
              They guy just sold it to em. I'm think maybe it's an older model with the chrome hardware and Duncan Designed? How much were they new if anyone knows?

Ehh I guess I'll find out today when I try it out and put it on lay away if I like it. I'm psyched because I've wanted a Jackson for sooooo long! My bandmate thinks Rhoads are lame but he's a Gibson kinda guy.

Anyways, thanks for all your help!

Comment

I love it!
                Everything was awsome, no buzz or damage. Played and sounded so much better than I expected. The input jack on the top horn made playing it so much easier ( have only played with it on the lower horn ). Basically I put it on lay away and I'm picking up next week.

Also they signed me up for a Gibson shred contest? Doubt I'll win but it'll be fun!

Comment

Working...
                X