Problems with trem, I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with trem, I think.

Hello, everyone. I'm new to these forums, and in fact, registered because I have a slight (I hope) problem with my guitar. I recently purchased a DK2, and all seems well, it even came properly intonated, but there seems to be a problem with the tremolo (A licensed Floyd Rose). I think that it does not return to its proper position after using, and even after heavy bending, because if I dive the guitar goes out of tune: all notes a little flat. The other way around, well, as you may guess, all strings are just a bit sharp. However if I move the trem just a bit in the opposite direction, I'm back in tune.

One other thing that bugs me: when I dive there's a sort of cracking sound, very slight, audibnle only if volume is low-ish. If I dive again and again and again the sound does not happen again but if I go the other way around with the trem, the sound occurs, and never again until I dive once more.

What's up. I'd take it straight to the shop but I'd like to try resolving it by myself, especially if it is (as I strongly hope) a simple problem.

Your help will be MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the springs may be bum. Swap them out and see what happens.

Comment

I've had this problem with an Ibanez Edge. The problem there was the posts were not big enough to fit the knife edges of the bridge into so the "fit" was very tight and it would never return to 0.

I would check that the knife edges are seated properly on the posts. That's where I would start.

Was it used? If so, the knife edges could be a little worn.

Where is that cracking sound coming from? The bridge?
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
        The guitar is new, so I was not expecting things like these. I'll check the knife edges/posts, and the springs, though those are the only ones I got.

The sound seems to come from the bridge, or near it, I can't tell very precisely. I thought it could be the springs but did not make much sense after a while and indeed, after removing the cover yesterday, the sound does not seem to come from them.

Comment

Check to make sure one of your trem posts isn't moving a little bit. That was my first thought when you said it was "cracking" a little when you use the bridge.

If it's new, I wouldn't think it would be the knife edges. I'm still leaning towards too tight of a fit for the edges in the groove on the trem post. But I've never heard of that happening with a Jackson, only Ibanez.

Comment

And what should I do in either case...I'm not really an expert with tremolos, heh. Though before (with previous guitars) I never had problems like this. I must have been damn lucky, haha.

Comment

Out of interest, is it one with the chrome hardware or the black? There is no way the knife edges are shot. Make sure all the strings are in tight. Again, try subbing them, as they could be bad or not broken in. There is nothing else that could make a mechanical (ie not being heard through your amp) crackling noise when you use the trem. If the trem knife edges were slightly above the pivot point on the post, you would hear popping noises, not crackling ones.

Comment

Originally posted by FM Piotr View Post
                And what should I do in either case...I'm not really an expert with tremolos, heh. Though before (with previous guitars) I never had problems like this. I must have been damn lucky, haha.
                Well, to check if your posts are moving I would take the trem off and see if I can wiggle them with my fingers. If they are moving slightly and catching something in there it could make a noise.

If the trem wasn't seated properly it could cause a noise, but I wouldn't call it a "cracking" either. It is more of a pop, but that pop only usually happens when it pops out or pops into the spot it's supposed to be in.

The springs could be an issue. I find that to be rather rare, or maybe I've just had good luck with springs.

Aren't locking trems fun? These kinds of issues are the exception, not the norm.

Comment

Another good thing to do is make sure your strings are fully stretched.

Comment

It has black hardware. I'll change the strings. Indeed, although these are "new", the guitar sat on the store for like a month and was played by at least a few sweaty hands, plus there's the time it lay elsewhere no? Hopefully that will be it. Anyway, about the sound, I'm thinking now if "crackling" is the right word here. I mean, English is not my first language but I'm sure crackling is right here. Definetly not popping though (I hope).

Comment

First thing I would do is get the guitar and unlock the nut and take the low E string and strech the shit out of it. If it goes flat, it's not fully streched out. That could be an issue with tuning and your bridge.

Fully streched strings are a must.

As for the noise, the only thing I can think of is it's either coming from the post or from the knife edge on your bridge.

Comment

OK, thanks, I did stretch the strings but probably did not stretch the shit out of them, heh, I'll see that. And the rest too. Hopefully it will be solved soon

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                          Well, to check if your posts are moving I would take the trem off and see if I can wiggle them with my fingers. If they are moving slightly and catching something in there it could make a noise.
                          If the posts are moving (which seems common in a lot of import guitars), I'd take take them out and wrap some teflon plumber's tape (PTFE) around the threads and put them back in.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You'd be surprised how much a string can strech.

Going back and re-reading your description of the noise, it only happens once, right? When you first dive the trem. Then it doesn't re-occur until you raise the trem (make the strings go sharp) right? You can dive all day and it only will make that noise the first time until you raise the bridge, right?

I'd check your trem posts. That's what it sounds like to me.

And toejam provided a good fix for that problem.

Comment

OK. I've arrived to my house now, and am about to try your suggestions. A couple of things though: I had forgotten one detail: Now, I'm not 100% sure about this but I'm almost certain that some fret buzz appeared after the first time I used the trem to dive...the very slight buzzing only occurs in the lower strings (D, A, E) not the others and does not if I pick gently. It was probably ther though. Action is indeed quite low. Now, before starting, "out of curioisty" I made a dive, and there it was the sound...thing is, before I left, the last move was precisely a dive so...maybe it settled over night. But I rave...I'll go now and check things out.

Comment

Working...
                              X