Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it have a name?

Greetings all.

A little bit about me first since I'm new. I'm KC Taylor from Chicago and have been a musician since I was 7. Played numerous band instruments and was a music major at Northern Illinois Univ the year we swept all the downBeat Awards. Left after that year and eventually picked up bass. I switched to guitar a few years later so that I wouldn't have to depend on calling up a guitarist to write songs with.

Recorded three albums. Every tune is a completely different genre...it's the A.D.D. in me I guess. Nothing heavy or shredded, but most solos still have more than their share of notes. The first album faired somewhat decent and I toured acoustically, since trying to find dedicated sidemen in my area that had the freedom to tour was usually difficult.

Main axe was a cheapy Jackson soloist with reverse headstock. I loved that thing until it wound up in a bunch of pieces New main axe is a '77 Ibanez Bob Weir Signature which gives me almost any sound that I want. I bought a Jackson for my backup and that's what this thread is about.

After twenty years, I'm taking a loooong hiatus to focus on directing and really don't need the Jackson anymore. It plays well but is too dark and brooding for my taste, plus new gear that I need is expensive, so I'm looking to sell it.

I bought it in 2001 from Guitar Center (probably my first mistake). The guy told me it was a limited edition made exclusively for GC in '98. Made in Japan, the body is leakwood (?) with "Duncan Designed" pickups and Licensed Floyd Rose trem. Vol. & tone pots w/5 way switch. I've never been good determining wood, but the bolt on neck looks almost like ash & fretboard looks maple. 24 frets w/ fins. S/N 9657282, but that probably doesn't mean much from what I've read. Links to pics are below

Any help identifying and potential value, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & keep playin'!

-KC

Body Closeup (Face)

Body closeup (Back)

The body is Lacewood.
    Looks like an early DK2 with a direct mounted humbucker and reverse inlays.
    Probably pull in about $300 to $400 tops. But clean that damn fretboard first.

btw... There is no such thing as a "cheapy Jackson Soloist with a reverse headstock."
    If it was a Soloist (neck thru) and had a reverse headstock, it was rare.

Oh and Welcome to the forum.
    -Rick

Comment

Yeah, it's a GC anniversary model. I've got one, though I've replaced the neck with a DK2M neck and changed the p/u's and hardware.

As rjohnstone said, the body is Lacewood. The neck is maple with rosewood fretboard. I payed somewhere around $350 or so about 4 years ago on the bay.

Comment

Nice WTS ad
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Okay, thanks all. Greatly appreciated, especially the help with the wood. One of these days I'll actually try to figure out the difference between rosewood and balsa (uh, or is it balsum)...lol.

Maybe the reverse headstock wasn't a soloist then. I bought it from a buddy of mine and he said it was a soloist that he paid $200 at GC. It had a bolt-on neck though and dots. Doesn't exactly sound like what you had mentioned RJ.

The neck was a two piece and broke like a twig when the strap gave way sending the headstock part into the audience. I then did a Paul Stanley/Pete Townsend to the rest of it. Luckily one of the other bands let me borrow an axe. What was embarassing was that the wireless was borrowed as I left mine at home, I replaced it.

Real shame, I like that axe. It played like a champ, even on nights when I didn't...lol.

Thanks again.
          -KC

Circa early 2000 or late 1999. I bought her in '98 and he had it for two-three years or so.

Comment

js
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X