Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help indentifying my guitar!

Hey
    I brought this guitar real cheap secondhand off a mate but I can't find what model it is or anything on it anywhere so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
    Stuff I do know:
    24 frets
    shark fin inlays
    floyd rose
    reverse headstock
    H/S/H
    3 yrs old
    Serial 9625220
    No writing on it anywhere (apart from the Jackson logo obviously haha)
    Volume and tone knob

Any help would be sweet
    Cheers

I just saw people paying some one else out for not introducing themselves nicely.... so here it is:
    My name is Alex and I'm from New Zealand, I'm into heaps of music particularly metal but by no means limited to just metal. I've almost finished my degree in music production at the Waikato Institute Of Technology. I play guitar and sing in a hardcore punk band called All Against You (www.myspace.com/allagainstyounz , if your interested) and the guitar in question is actually my flat mate and lead guitarists guitar and he was just using my account.
    Cheers
    Alexxx

Comment

Never saw a HSH config with sharkies. I'd say it was a mutt. But I am usually wrong.

Comment

Yeah, either that or a non US model. Hes in NZ so thats a possibility. I got my 650xl from AUS and it has a few strange options too. Its like a ps4 with sharkies.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
          Yeah, either that or a non US model.
          We have a winner!

Alex, what you have is a DR-X; Sister model to the AT-X, RR-X and KE-X. It was sold pretty much exclusively in Europe and NZ/AU (maybe South America too, but I haven't gotten any reliable confirmation on that). Quality-wise; it is nothing special. I'm guessing it's about equal to a Japan-made Performer model Jackson. Decent guitar for sure, but with useless pickups and a bridge I can only describe as "so-so".

Replacing the pickups would make it a good guitar. Also replacing the bridge would make it a really good guitar - but the question is if it is worth that investment. I had an RR-X, and it had a bit dodgy fretwork; I could not get the action as low and smooth as on my neck-through Charvels. The neck was also a little too thin for me, and that's what made me sell her.

However, I can guarantee that it is not 3 years old, like you state. The serial places it in late 1998 or early 1999, and the "Euro X"-series was also terminated somewhere around that time. If you take the neck off, you should find stamps telling you exactly what model it is, and when the body and neck were made.

My question is: Is that the original paint on it? In that case, we have another finish to add to the list!

---------------------------------------------------
          Jackson DR-X

Country of manufacture: Japan.
          Production years: N/A.

Construction: Bolt-on neck.
          Body Style: Dinky.
          Body Wood: N/A.

Neck Wood: Maple.
          Scale length: 25.5" (650mm).
          Fretboard: Rosewood.
          Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
          Inlays: Reverse Sharkfins (synthetic).
          Headstock: Reverse Jackson pointy.

Bridge: JT580LP Licensed Low Profile Floyd, fully recessed.
          Hardware Color: Black.
          Machine Heads: Gotoh Custom, encapsuled, Jackson label.
          Nut: Licensed Floyd Rose Locking Nut.

Pickup configuration: H-S-H.
          Pickup models: N/A.
          Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way blade switch.
          Knobs: N/A.

Confirmed finishes: Transparent Blue, Transparent Purple, Transparent Red.
          Unconfirmed finishes: Metallic Black, Metallic Blue, Trans Green.

Weight: N/A.
          Retail price: N/A.

Btw, welcome to the board!
          Last edited by Sunbane; 09-25-2007, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Amazing....It seems like Jackson took necks and bodies from different models and created all these overseas models we've never heard of......Almost like official factory mutts..........This one looks like the body of a PS-4 or DK3, with the neck of a DR3 or DX10D ..........I guess it's all about market-specific needs............

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
              Amazing....It seems like Jackson took necks and bodies from different models and created all these overseas models we've never heard of......
              The Jackson Yatzy Series
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                Confirmed finishes: Transparent Blue, Transparent Purple, Transparent Red.
                Unconfirmed finishes: Metallic Black, Metallic Blue, Trans Green.

Weight: N/A.
                Retail price: N/A.

Btw, welcome to the board!
                I have a Dr-x myself and had one more at some point.

The one I used to have was dark blue, from the pic it looks like it's black but look closely to the picture near the flash. You can see it's dark blue.

And this is the one that I still have (the one on the front) Surprisingly good quality axe. And it's metallic black! The one on the back is a dxmg, and if you compare those two you can see my dr-x has an ebony dark fretboard with mop like sharkies.. I've had and used lots of pro series jacksons and my dr-x is among the best ones. I find its neck to be more comfy than dk-2 necks etc.

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                Amazing....It seems like Jackson took necks and bodies from different models and created all these overseas models we've never heard of......Almost like official factory mutts..........This one looks like the body of a PS-4 or DK3, with the neck of a DR3 or DX10D ..........I guess it's all about market-specific needs............
                The body most likely is a dk-3 body, because the trem is a jt-580. So I don't think it has anything to do with the performer series. The neck on mine is neither like a dx10d nor like a dr-3 neck. It's more similar to the early ke-3 necks that have "professional" on the headstock with a gray logo.
                Check my bands!
                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I don't think they simply mix'n'matched bodies and necks off different production lines, because on these, both the bodies and the necks are stamped with its own model name. That was the case with my RR-X at least.

I found my RR-X neck to be thinner than any of my current guitars, and in my case, it wasn't to my liking. I have seen the neck profile described as a "thin D shape", but it isn't flat on the back like an Ibanez, so I'd rather call it a thin C shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    I don't think they simply mix'n'matched bodies and necks off different production lines, because on these, both the bodies and the necks are stamped with its own model name. That was the case with my RR-X at least.

I found my RR-X neck to be thinner than any of my current guitars, and in my case, it wasn't to my liking. I have seen the neck profile described as a "thin D shape", but it isn't flat on the back like an Ibanez, so I'd rather call it a thin C shape.
                    Out of "n" HsH dinky bodies routed for floyd rose with 1 volume 1 tone and a blade switch you can stamp any number "DK-3" and any number "Dr-x" My point was that.

I agree with you about the shape of the neck and I like it
                    Last edited by NextInLine; 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM.
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Sweeeet!!! Thanks for all your help everyone especially you sunbane To my knowledge it is the original finish. Yeah the neck is real thin, it's not my thing personally but scott loves it. Different strokes for different folks I guess
                      Cheers
                      Alexxx

Comment

i have a '98 rr-x.the freatboard of my rrx is darker than your

Comment

I think that serial # places the DR-X in 96 or 97

Dimebag, what is your ser #?
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Comment

The RR-X I sold was 9611104, with the body stamped "1998.2.6".

Comment

Working...
                              X