DK2M Floyd Reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M Floyd Reliability?

Week after next, I will most likely be getting this guitar, since it is still in Long and mcquade. This will be my first guitar with a Floyd, and I'm wondering how is the Floyd on this model.

I've heard some people say that you can't pull back very far on it? I'm just looking for a honest reveiw of it the model.

OK, well, there are lots of threads about the best-selling DK2M and its Floyd, the JT-580....just click on that Search link up at the top, newkid.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Its true you cant pull that far back on it ... but im still happy with it .. its a good bridge

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        OK, well, there are lots of threads about the best-selling DK2M and its Floyd, the JT-580....just click on that Search link up at the top, newkid.
        I did search, couldn't find much. :P

Just because I'm a junior member doesn't mean I'm new to the forum :P.

I've been watching you all.

Comment

putting a better quality Floyd in 'er isn't going to effect the amount of pull up that much.

as far as the quality of the JT580, it should do you just fine. Do some reading in the Tech section about Floyd maintenance & you'll be well on the path to years of whammy bar abuse & enjoyment.

When the Floyd finally wears out in a few year's time, worry about replacing it then
          Hail yesterday

Comment

To get you more pullback, I bet you could just shim the neck a little, and adjusting the Floyd accordingly (to make it sit higher up and at a slight forward angle). I know there are people here who don't favor such mods, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's just setup work, really.
            Last edited by Sunbane; 08-24-2007, 02:53 AM.

Comment

If you never had a guitar with a Floyd, i would not worry about it. What i mean is, i doubt your style will change too much and you will start abusing your Floyd is a Steve Vai style

I own a DK2M, but i also own a SL2H (original Floyd), an Ibanez Jem (Edge tremolo) and an Ibanez RG-something (shitty licensed floyd).
              The tremolo on the DK2M is not as good as the original Floyd (the best of the four, imo) or the Edge tremolo (almost as good as the original Floyd but different feel), but it is definitely a good tremolo, it's not as fluid as the other two, but it works and it stays in tune.

Now, if you were a player like Mattias Eklundh (take a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq0xvSJojw&mode=related&search= ) i'd get a guitar with an original Floyd, but if you are a more "normal" player (like i am ), you'll be ok with the JT-580, the DK2M is a great guitar for the price, i'm sure you will love it.

Comment

The JT-580 in my 93 fusion H-H is still working just fine and I abuse the hell out of that guitar. So reliable?Hell yes!
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  To get you more pullback, I bet you could just shim the neck a little, and adjusting the Floyd accordingly (to make it sit higher up and at a slight forward angle). I know there are people here who don't favor such mods, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's just setup work, really.
                  +1 I did this mod to my DK2S which now has an OFR. The OFR has a longer sustain block (couldn't locate the 37mm model) and it just barely rubbed the back plate so I shimmed the neck. The side benefit to that is I get some crazy pull-up which I love.
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

i have a 580LP and a regular 580 on my two jacksons, and theres really no trouble with either. both are stable (other than after a pull-up i have to dive it slightly to keep it in tune, but i understand thats usually a problem with licensed floyds). i do prefer my OFR on my schecter, but the 580's work just fine and i really dont feel the need to replace them. the only thing i wished they would do better is flutter! the OFR flutters like mad, but the 580s dont very much.
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Another question, does this arm screw in like DXMG, or does t twist in, because I heard that the screw in arm are a real hassle to tighten all the time.

Comment

Don't listen to people that don't play trem equipped guitars.Those two remarks are consistant with people that don't have a clue what they are talking about.
                        soc monki if your trem does not come back to pitch after an up-pull your nut may be loose or you have worn pivot studs,worn knife edges.Maybe even the saddles are loose.Could also be the stud anchors are loose in the body allowing it to move slightly.
                        Last edited by straycat; 08-25-2007, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lester View Post
                          +1 I did this mod to my DK2S which now has an OFR. The OFR has a longer sustain block (couldn't locate the 37mm model) and it just barely rubbed the back plate so I shimmed the neck. The side benefit to that is I get some crazy pull-up which I love.
                          Why would your DK2S have a 37mm block anyway? It's a recessed trem, so it comes with 32mm. The 37mm and 42mm are for non-recessed guitars.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

TJ he said he installed an OFR.

Comment

Yeah, and an OFR for a recessed guitar would also need a 32mm block.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X