Jackson COW mako arrives (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson COW mako arrives (pics)

Some of you might have seen this thread over at Sevenstring.org. I didnt wanna retype everything again so I cut and pasted my post from there.

Well the Mako arrived today got to play it for about 40 mins at lunch and took some pics .

The paint is silver with some grit/texture to it. Actually kinda does look like shark skin. I was worried it was gonna be gray with black edges, but that is not the case.

mmmm case candy

Now my initial impressions are it's cool for what it is ( a metal rhythm guitar) But lets not kid ourselves this isnt exactly a versatile guitar. The strangest thing is the ebony board has a glossy coat on it. I have never seen this on ebony before and I'm not sure If I care for it. It's kinda slippery when playing.

This is an import with a few different options and it's not going to be much competition for my USA custom shop Jackson and BC Richs.
    But it's very light weight and sleak and would be a good gigging rhythm guitar that would hold it's own and you wouldnt have to worry about hurting your higher end stuff.

I still dig it, but was it worth the brand new price tag? probably not when you can get the black version for cheaper. But on the other hand It cured me of my Gas for a Silverburst Les Paul which woulda been a helluva lot more and I'm not even a fan of the Les Paul shape.

But whatever I had no delusions about what it would be. I just wanted another cool looking axe for downtuning.

Jason from DCGL was great to deal with. He hooked me up with a showroom/floor model Jackson molded case for much less (because he had no new ones instock ) Also sent the guitar overnight and charged me for 2 day shipping saving $50 right there. Not too mention all the case candy, pics, strings, stickers, strap & Jenna Tshirt.

Originally posted by Mikernaut2 View Post
    The strangest thing is the ebony board has a glossy coat on it. I have never seen this on ebony before and I'm not sure If I care for it. It's kinda slippery when playing.
    So zeegler didn't talk bullshit about this very issue, regarding a Bond Rhoads many months ago. I'll see if I can dig up the thread, where he called out a Jackson employee who was online here... saying he was full of shit. That was a lame and stupid remark for shure, but interesting that you see the same gloss on your, otherwise very cool looking Cow. Congrats!
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Btw., Jackson said they don't do anything to the ebony other than polish it by hand.

Okay, found the thread:
      http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ight=full+shit
      Last edited by jackson1; 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM.
      Henrik

Comment

Killer guitar! You must be the first to have acquired one..

Comment

Cool guitar... The finish looks nice...
          Can you orientate yourself on the fretboard without
          any inlays?
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Played a camo one in a shop once, the fretboard felt like black plastic to me... so smooth and shiny...

Comment

Yeah theres definitely a glossy type coating on here and I'm sliding around alittle while playing. While I dont mind the gloss look to it, the feel is just wrong. Most my other guitars are normal ebony so this is noticable.

As far as no inlays I'm kinda used to it, one of my USA BC Rich's has no inlays except the 12th fret. The body is kinda slim and alot more lightweight then the DKMGTFF I used to own. Sounds more articulate too. If this would have been a USA Select model It would destroy.

I'm actually surprised I havent even heard about this model until I came across it at DCGL. It's not even on the official site .

hah Heres my (conspiracy) theory they are lacquering the "subpar" ebony (shortage of good ebony) so as to prevent it from the brittle cracking which has been happening lately.
              Last edited by Mikernaut2; 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Cool finish, would be even better as a 7!

As for the ebony I just think its to stop it from drying out. Some guitars sit in the shop for aeons, and ebony will crack when dry. I dont think theres a conspiracy going on, and I dont think its a permanent fixture.

Comment

That's a beautiful guitar, DEFINITELY makes me mad that they didn't do a 7-string version of it

Comment

That's a lot of case candy there
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Great guitra... Beautiful finish..

a pity its a 6... but hey - Its a Jackson !!! COW

Comment

most ebony these days is dyed anyway, even on USA Custom Shop Jacksons. You can imagine how cheaper the import ebony stock is, and if they had to soak the boards to get them black, then they probably had to clear them to keep the production schedule. I don't imagine a dense wood like ebony (even the cheap stuff) absorbs dye (which is probably also the cheap stuff) very quickly.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Looking at the fingerboard of my Kevin Bond Rhoads, I believe John Walker from Jackson, when he says that:

"We do not put any finish on the Kevin Bond fingerboards. They get sanded, polished, and then a light coat of oil is put on them and they are buffed again."

I bet this goes for any Pro Series Artist Signature models, including the COW as well.
                          Henrik

Comment

I believe John as well. When I got my Mark Morton model, the board was extremely shiny, like glass, but there's no clear coat on it. It just feels like any other ebony board I've ever played on. It is getting a little duller now from playing it.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

("Cool finish, would be even better as a 7")

might wanna take a look at the List of Guitars Matt has at Matt's Music
                              Last edited by Mikernaut2; 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X