Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soloist Professional vs. Soloist XL Professional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Professional vs. Soloist XL Professional?

I know the XL has a very thin flat neck, I own one and it rocks. Has anyone played a Soloist Professional? It looks the same, but has 3 knobs on the front. What's that neck like? I'm thinking about picking one up for around 650-700.

I have a `90 Soloist Pro, and it's a great guitar. The neck is fairly thin and flat, but not as much as on my `93 Dinky XL Professional. There is always a bit of variation on the Jackson necks, even within the same production year, so it's tough to say for sure.
    sigpic

Comment

I have a 90 Soloist Pro also - kinda subjective, but the neck is very comfortable. Not wafer thin like an old JSX94 I used to own, and not like a baseball bat either. Actually kinda like my Charvel Model 5 (also neck thru). As far as flatness - don't the Pro and the EX share the same compound fretboard radius? Hope this helps.

Mark
      "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

The original Soloist Pro is leaps and bounds better than the Soloist XL. You upgrade with better choice woods, ebony boards, active Jackson USA electronics, mother of pearl sharks and Jackson logo on headstock. I think both used the Schaller JT-590. One cool thing about the XL is the matching headstocks.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The Soloist XL was basically the successor to the Charvel 650xl after J/C largely deep-sixed the Charvel brand in 1992. With the Schaller trem, I'd say it's a worthy alternative if you don't want to spend as much money to get a full-blown Soloist Pro. Be careful, though, because you also may run into the Soloist Std., which had the dot inlays and (unfortunately) the crappy JT-580 trem. The XL has the sharkies and neck binding, and that's the easiest way to tell on eBay and such.

Comment

Working...
          X