Friend needs help identifying a Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend needs help identifying a Jackson

A friend of mine just purchased a Jackson off of ebay. The auction says it's a JS20, but after seeing the pics in the auction, it doesn't look like any JS20 I've ever seen. I checked all of the catalog scans on Henrik's site, but I'm coming up empty. If any one could help with id'ing this guitar I and him would appreciate it.

Here is the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/L-K-Jackson-JS-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, it is a JS of some sort, that´s for sure... but the actual model number beats me. I can´t recall seeing one exactly like that. I´m sure someone that has kept a closer eye on the bottom of the range will come along and sort this out shortly.

Comment

Really hard to say. I would guess JS/Performer parts mutt.

The neck is clearly not from a Performer, but it looks like a MII due to the dots, so it would probably be from a JS.

Comment

I was thinking mutt as well at first, but the H/S/S PS2 had a JT580 IIRC... and the one that´s on there looks like a single-locking. The Performers also had Jackson-branded pickups, and these are no-names. So I´m guessing both the neck and the body is JS.

Comment

Looks very much like a JS30, only with black hardware. It could even be a DK2 that's had it's neck pinched for another guitar.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Mmmm...it's neither a JS30 or a DK2 body. This guitar wasn't routed for a 580LP, as it doesn't have the slanted cuts to match the 580LP baseplate. This makes me think there used to be a JT-500 or something similarly shaped (like the current bridge) in there.

Comment

The closest thing I have found is a PS2. But it is shown in the catalogs as having a regular headstock where as this one is reversed. Also there is no "Performer" logo on the headstock.

Comment

You´re correct, Sunbane, the route does date it back to the days of the´94-series of thereabouts. I didn´t think of that.

Comment

IMO it's too much $ right now.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    IMO it's too much $ right now.

I thought so too, but he bought without asking my opinion. I was just trying to figure out what it was.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that body was designed for a 22 neck. That neck doesn't look quite right on there.

Comment

That went for way too much $$$.
                        And it's not a JS20.
                        JS20's have always had a v-trem and 22 frets.
                        The route suggest a JT-500 trem was there originally.
                        The Performer series bodies towards the end of production had the same control layout as the JS series, so it could be a Performer body.
                        Reverse headstock with 24 frets is similar to a JS30 series neck. Some were 22 fret and others were 24.
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM.
                        -Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X