Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help dating and id'ing this unknown jackson

hey all, im hoping you can help me out.

this is my brothers guitar, hes in iraq right now and would like more information on his jackson guitar. he acquired it used in either 2003/2004 by trading in a 1965 epiphone guitar for it.

im not sure whether or not this guitar is even an import, but its got a duncan pickup in the bridge, and im assuming a stock in the neck position, its got a volume and tone knob and a 3 way select switch.

the serial number is on the neck plate, its a bolt on, the plate is all black with the serial number "99081723".

if this is not an import, mod's please move it to the usa made spot, but i put it here b/c it does not say made in usa anywhere on the guitar.

hopefully you can help me, ive been looking all over the place for serial info, but to no avail
    Last edited by dunivan; 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM. Reason: picture wasnt working

Since it's a bolt on it's probably a Dinky. Made in '99, hence 99 being the first two digits of the serial. By the looks of the dots it's a lower end model. Probably cost about $650 new...maybe a little more or less.

Ben

Comment

Hold on there, newkid, that's not how import ser #s work. The rest of your info is suspect too
      Also, that's too many digits on the ser# (should be 7 digits) for a recent Japanese bolt-on. Double check the ser# dunivan. Dots in that location I very much doubt it's USA
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Whoops...gotta check on my sources!!!

I allways thought the first 2 digits of a serial # were the date of manufacturing? My Jackson is 93 and my Dean ML is 05...both are correct for the vintage of the guitar.....

I will have to say...that geet looks like my Stealth EX with a H+H setup instead of the S+S+H setup like mine...even the same color that I re-painted mine in!!! LOL

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Hold on there, newkid, that's not how import ser #s work. The rest of your info is suspect too
          Also, that's too many digits on the ser# (should be 7 digits) for a recent Japanese bolt-on. Double check the ser# dunivan. Dots in that location I very much doubt it's USA
          the numbers i gave are the exact ones on the black neck plate

in the gallery theres ones with 8 digit serial numbers too

Comment

JS series body, JS 30 perhaps. Reverse headstock with offset dots looks a lot like a PS4 neck. What's throwing me is the neck... most JS bodies are 22 fretters.
            Either way, it's a parts mutt made from low end import parts.
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-28-2007, 11:46 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

There ya go. Hope that '65 Epiphone was crap!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

yeah the epi sounded like shit

does the neckplate serial tell you anything? would the date of body manufacture be in the neckjoint with the neck removed?

Comment

Yup.

As for Jackson serials, prior to 1996 bolt ons usually started with the last number of the year they were made. I think the Performer series may have started with 9x for the year. Haven't had many of those myself so I can't verify that, but all the Professionals I've had started with the last number of the year (0-5)
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Yup.

As for Jackson serials, prior to 1996 bolt ons usually started with the last number of the year they were made. I think the Performer series may have started with 9x for the year. Haven't had many of those myself so I can't verify that, but all the Professionals I've had started with the last number of the year (0-5)
                    Dat explains it...mine's a Professional and prior to 1996.

Thanks dude!

Ben

Comment

Working...
                    X