New/old guitar day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/old guitar day

I got this Dinky Reverse off the Bay(the one on the Right) and it arrived today. Looks as if it's been sitting in a pawn shop for a good while. but for the shipped total price I think I got a great deal.

It's the one on the right. My '94-95 that I bought new is the one on the left. Notice the difference in the tops. I wonder if these two different tops might be the way to discern a 94 from a 95. I like the one I bought new (left) much better. The one I just got is most likely going to be stripped and refinished.

Also, just for shits and grins. Here's the difference between a dry fretboard (on the recent purchase), and the fretboard on the my other one that I've taken care of since new.

My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

I forgot to add, the serial on the one on the right is 307857.

The one on the left is 401846
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

That's really neat to see the difference taking care of the fretboard makes. Thanks for posting!
      Scott

Comment

Wow what a big difference in those tops and fretboards. The new one still has potential though.
        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Are those real tops? The one on the right looks kinda like one of those photo flame tops that they put out. Perhaps it is faded from the sun?

Comment

The one on the right looks like a quilt top. Very nice. I'd keep them the way they are now. One flame and one quilt of the same color....how cool is that!!!
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
              The one on the right looks like a quilt top. Very nice. I'd keep them the way they are now. One flame and one quilt of the same color....how cool is that!!!
              I kind of agree, but the quilt top just doesn't have that great of a quilt on it. I've always wanted to strip a guitar, paint it White, then have all my friends draw or write whatever they want on it, then clear over it. I also know a guy that does some airbrushing so I might possibly have something put on it. Or I might just leave it as is. At this point, the possibilities are endless.
              My Toys:
              '94 Dinky HX in Black
              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                Are those real tops? The one on the right looks kinda like one of those photo flame tops that they put out. Perhaps it is faded from the sun?
                I"m pretty sure they're both veneer tops, however, I think the flametops were quite a bit thicker than the quilts if I remember correctly. I know that the photo flametops were on the 96 and up Dinky's that also had the sharkfin inlays.

I believe that my flametop is a '94 model, and i think the quilt is a '95.
                My Toys:
                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Was that shipped form Colorado? Most probablly denver? Was looking at one at a shop identical to that one just had strings HAHA. Enjoy it should sound nice!
                  Haters gonna hate
                  Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Out of curiosity, how did you take care of the neck. Did you clean it with something and oil it? I don't even know. I've never done anything but wipe off the gunk and dirt every time I re-string.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                      Was that shipped form Colorado? Most probablly denver? Was looking at one at a shop identical to that one just had strings HAHA. Enjoy it should sound nice!
                      Yea, it came from CO. The address says Federal Heights, but that's a suburb of Denver isn't it?
                      My Toys:
                      '94 Dinky HX in Black
                      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                        Out of curiosity, how did you take care of the neck. Did you clean it with something and oil it? I don't even know. I've never done anything but wipe off the gunk and dirt every time I re-string.
                        About once or twice a year I use a toothbrush with Bore or Key oil and scrub the fretboard.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

The Dinky on the right looks just like a reverse I sold on EBay about 2-3 years ago. I don't remember the buyers name though. I have images of it at home but don't know the serial number.

Comment

Working...
                          X