No announcement yet.

Considering a KVX10... model spec help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a KVX10... model spec help?

Okay, so I've been looking at V shaped guitars. I was pretty much settled on a KVX10... until I began researching model "upgrades" and "downgrades" (depending on the viewpoint, eh) that have occurred over the years.

Is it really worth my time and effort digging up an older model with an alder body and Strings-Through-Body bridge? I actually kinda prefer the Strings Through option over the Tremolo "upgrade", if just for the technical convenience of it. But blah.

Anyways, is there actually a quality difference in the newer and older models? I understand there's a quality risk with pretty much any import guitar, but I'm far more concerned about the long term reliability and wondered if it is subject to model date.

And I hate to seem neurotic, but... I find a model in-store, is there any particular defect I should look out for on the KVX10? Thanks for any help.
    Bewm! Explosion.

Hey you Punk! Welcome!

Excellent "bang for the buck" mid line Japanese Jackson! I would tell you to avoid the India made guitars (pre 2002). The Japan KVXs will have ser# starting with 96xxxxx and above. The body wood was changed to basswood in July of 2006. So if you want alder, stick with a ser # earlier than approx 972xxxx

Check my 2004 out:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66437
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The string thru versus whammy bar is a matter of preference. The licensed tremolo in the new KVX10's isn't bad, but it ain't no OFR. Slighlty cheaper materials.

I replaced the tuning keys with Planet Waves locking ones. I tune mine down to C standard with 12-54 strings and play the shit out of it with lots of Metal so I needed more tuning stability.

You'll want to move the neck position strap pin though, on either an new one or an older one. I find that mine balances better since I moved it to the neck plate.

Here's my 2005 since Ron showed his '04.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Much thanks for the help and advice. I never could have predicted that trying to locate a UK store with a String Through version would be so difficult. So I figure I'll just settle for one with an alder body... almost as difficult, but I think I've found a place. Thanks again.
        Bewm! Explosion.

Comment

There's a shop in Leicester that has a string thru KVX10 in amber sunburst. Looks sweet.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I was looking into a KVX10 too. Howcome the description on Jacksonguitars.com says it's basswood but if you click on "specs" it says it's alder?

Comment

Obviously the webmaster or info guy didn't drill down enough when the changeover happened. Pretty common actually. Check Post #2.

Comment

so any thing in the 98... area is Basswood?
                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                  so any thing in the 98... area is Basswood?
                  not necesarily...my Dx10 has a 98 serial number, but i got it long before the Alder cutoff date. and the dates on the neck and body are from January and December 2005, also long before the Alder cutoff date.
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                    not necesarily...my Dx10 has a 98 serial number, but i got it long before the Alder cutoff date. and the dates on the neck and body are from January and December 2005, also long before the Alder cutoff date.
                    Fine, let's have more details then...like the full ser #

Comment

9851137...neck date is January something 2005, body date was December 24 2005 (i remember because it was Christmas eve! LOL)
                      My metal band Lucian Scott
                      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I got my guitar late December of 2005, the Serial Number is like 982XXXX, I dont remember the rest.
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

so to determine if the kvx10 i am looking at is alder it needs to have a serial number of...

Comment

Working...
                          X