Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistery Jackson JJ2?????

Hi Guys,

I've just picked up this baby from ebay. It has JJ2 on the back of the headstock EMG pickups with a coil tap, and a S/N 901001 on th bottom of the fretboard.

Anyone know anything about this model?

Cheers and thanks

Steve

I believe the JJ model was introduced in 1994. It later became Scott Ian's signature guitar with the introduction of the JJ-1 (I think around 1998 or so). The JJ-2 appeared in 2000, but with a different logo compared to your guitar.

I don't know if what you have is a JJ-2 or not. The neck definitely looks like it comes from a JJ-4 or some such thing. I can't tell anything from the serial. Is the neck neck-through or bolt-on?

What I can tell, is that the pickups are not original. The JJs never came with EMGs as far as I'm aware. The bridge on this one also looks highly unfamiliar. The JJ-2s in the catalogues had either a very simple Gibson-style "wrap around" bridge, or a T.O.M/String-through bridge arrangement.
    Last edited by Sunbane; 04-23-2007, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The neck is a set neck. The bridge is a wraparound gibson style with adjustable bridge saddles. It seems a well built guitar - but there's nothing anywhere to say the year or country of manufacture. The only decals are the Jackson on the front of the headstock and the "JJ2" on the upper rear of the headstock

Cheers

Steve

Comment

That's wierd. I've never seen a JJ-2 that wasn't a USA made guitar with the dice inlays at the 12th fret. I don't think I've seen one that wasn't a string-through TOM either.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've also never known Jackson put the model on anything but a trussrod cover, but I'm not the JJ expert.

Could have been an early Pro-series JJ2. The KV-2 started as a bolt-on Pro model with dots when the KV-1 was introduced, and then later became a USA model and got the upgrades, so maybe this is the same situation?
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Looks exactly like an Ibanez AX
            My Main Rig:
            '87 Charvel Model 4A
            Peavey KB100 amp
            Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
            '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            '05 Ibanez RG320FM
            '86 Ovation Pinnacle
            '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
            '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

I had at one time and early USA JJ that had the script Jackson logo with dot inlays and the wraparound tailpiece. It came with Semour Duncan pickups. Thing was a monster. Just too damn small. Mine was a bolt-on though. Don't know what the model was called either...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

There's one in the '94 catalog that looks just like it, but called a JJ rather than JJ2:

http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Jac...4-95Page19.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                  There's one in the '94 catalog that looks just like it, but called a JJ rather than JJ2:

http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Jac...4-95Page19.htm
                  The headstock shape doesn't match though. The early JJs had the "Gumby" headstock. I think they got the more conservative looking one after Scott came into the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    The headstock shape doesn't match though. The early JJs had the "Gumby" headstock. I think they got the more conservative looking one after Scott came into the picture.
                    Good point on the headstock.

Now for my next irrelevant piece of information, in Japan they still make a guitar that looks like it (with that headstock), but label it a Charvel EM:

http://www.jacksonstars.com/em_pdf.pdf

Comment

the macine heads dont look stock are they spersels? (sp)
                      no sig.....

Comment

The machine heads are locking Sperzels so they won't be standard (They only just get through the headstock!! - but they don't need any space for string wind).

It does have a maple looking top with bookmatched grain (flat not figured) just not sure if it's veneer or a maple cap (I can't tell by looking in the pup cavity because it's coated with a black paint)

Comment

ive got Sperzels on my patrick eggle they rock imo.
                          no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by asix View Post
                            ive got Sperzels on my patrick eggle they rock imo.
                            Yes the sperzels are great...I was lucky to score them on this guitar...the guy didn't even promote them and they're about $60 Us a set!!! Not quite as excited about the EMG's...not my favourite PUPs tone wise..plenty of grunt but lacking in character!!!

Comment

Very nice guitar mate. I have a USA JJ2 and I like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X