Neck finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck finish?

So the neck finish on my dinky, like the back of the neck the maple part, has been sanded off!!! why? Anybody know how to refinish it? I like the smoothness when it's finished.

Dinky reverse neck RULES!!! Thin and flat. Wow.

Got any pics?

Refinishing it isn't a problem.

Comment

Are you sure it's sanded off? Dinky necks have a thin matte satin finish and not high gloss.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Are you sure it's sanded off? Dinky necks have a thin matte satin finish and not high gloss.
        Yes Kudogg checked this. The headstock has the thin matte satin finish you speak of, and I can see the sandpaper marks on the neck. I must have thin smooth neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
          Got any pics?

Refinishing it isn't a problem.
          How do I post pics?

Comment

Bummer. USA Dinkies and USA Charvels have raw oiled necks, so I guess someone was going for that feel. Some people just feel a regular finish is bothersome and isn't as smooth as oil.
            If it's very lightly sanded, you may be able to buff it back out to a shiny finish.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pics

Comment

Judging from the last pic, either you've got GIANT hands and use HUGE picks, or that neck is super thin 

Certainly thinner than any of the J/C guitars currently in my stable.

Rock on
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

I agree, the feel of raw wood does sorta slow you down.

I'd maybe suggest taking some fine sandpaper then 0000 fine steel wool to get the sandpaper marks out and then apply a few coats of tung oil and buff it smooth.

If you're looking for a clearcoated finish, can you be more specific?
                  Satin? Gloss? Painted?

Also keep in mind that any sort of clearcoat may change the tolorences in the neck pocket.
                  Last edited by Model1VH2; 04-12-2007, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Try tru oil it will make it nice and smooth.I have several guitars with raw necks and tru oil gives them a protective coat that feels a lot like clearcoated neck.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Try Bing/Casy Tru-Oil. it's made for gun stocks but is used by the Custom Shop for the Oil finish on Charvels and Jacksons. The neck must be finish sanded with 900 grit paper. wipe on a very light coat of oil being sure to shake the bottle well before. Let it dry 24hrs then apply a second coat and let it dry another 24hrs. next lightly sand away the glossy shine with 800 grit paper. The neck will be as smooth as a prom Queen's thigh. I usaully follow this with a coat of carnuba wax. I have done 2 necks like this and was amazed at the results. I learned it here from another thred. This place ROCKS!

Comment

Working...
                      X